Author Topic: Trump wants to send troops to the inner cities. A top senator wants to rein him in.  (Read 2278 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump wants to send troops to the inner cities. A top senator wants to rein him in.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal is contacting other lawmakers in his bid to overhaul the Insurrection Act.

By Joe Gould

01/24/2024 03:08 PM EST

A top Democratic senator is renewing his effort to rein in Donald Trump’s — or any other future president’s — authority to deploy the military inside the U.S., following recent threats from the former commander in chief to use troops to tamp down violence in cities if reelected.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), a senior member of the Homeland, Armed Services and Judiciary committees, told POLITICO he is seeking Republicans and Democrats to join his latest effort to overhaul the law involving deployments inside the U.S., known as the Insurrection Act.

The law, enacted in 1792, grants the president the authority to deploy the military domestically and use it against Americans to suppress rebellion or violence. But Blumenthal and other critics argue that it is overly broad and ripe for abuse.

more
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/24/trump-insurrection-act-deploy-military-00137598

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Why didn't he do it during the summer of love?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Good question...

Are you a Gen Sherman fan?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Stop federal funding to state and municipal law enforcement organizations that are not enforcing criminal laws.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:47:11 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

From the article

But Blumenthal and other critics argue that it is overly broad and ripe for abuse]

So a law that’s been in place since 1792 and this idiot has decided it can be abused in 2024?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline kevindavis007

Good question...

Are you a Gen Sherman fan?

Yes I am...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline the OlLine Rebel

This is exactly what I was going to say.

And I’m not a fan of Sherman….
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline goatprairie

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
WOKE democrats send in muslim terrorists through our southern borders and they do commit acts of terrorism,
 or is it Trump who is wrong willing to send in enforcers of the law to end the domestic terrorism the democrats have fully supported?  You want the dregs of humanity to rule over you, or real law and justice to rule and reign like it has for most of our history?
WELL?

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Look at what they have done to our nation thus far!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline libertybele

WOKE democrats send in muslim terrorists through our southern borders and they do commit acts of terrorism,
 or is it Trump who is wrong willing to send in enforcers of the law to end the domestic terrorism the democrats have fully supported?  You want the dregs of humanity to rule over you, or real law and justice to rule and reign like it has for most of our history?
WELL?

Look at what they have done to our nation thus far!

??? WHY didn't Trump implement the Insurrection Act when the Floyd riots were going on and they torched St. John's cathedral? Bible in hand in front of the cameras Trump promised he would quell the riots.  He didn't. He made that promise more than once and the leftists, woke mobs called his bluff. He was more worried about his re-election than the state of our country.

Trump is out for Trump and retribution. To think otherwise, you are only fooling yourself.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

From the article

But Blumenthal and other critics argue that it is overly broad and ripe for abuse]

So a law that’s been in place since 1792 and this idiot has decided it can be abused in 2024?

1792?  The article mentions the Insurrection Act  - the  Insurrection Act was made law in 1802 and has been used by several presidents in recent history; Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, "W"...Some will argue that states did not request it and therefore shouldn't be used; but several of them went ahead without the request of the state.

Now, because Trump may get into office, they want to revisit this Act??  The left doesn't want him to use that authority which is granted to him.

Once again, the left wants rules for the DEMS and a separate set of rules for the GOP and us peons.

Had Trump used the Insurrection Act when he had the chance and had a very valid reason in doing so, we wouldn't be in the mess that we are faced with now.  He folded like a cheap suit.  He waited to try to do something and by then it was way too late and no one wanted to back him because they were afraid of losing their seats in the upcoming election.  That was the bottom line.  He himself was afraid of losing the election if he implemented the Insurrection Act.

Here we sit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act_of_1807

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline goatprairie

1792?  The article mentions the Insurrection Act  - the  Insurrection Act was made law in 1802 and has been used by several presidents in recent history; Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, "W"...Some will argue that states did not request it and therefore shouldn't be used; but several of them went ahead without the request of the state.

Now, because Trump may get into office, they want to revisit this Act??  The left doesn't want him to use that authority which is granted to him.

Once again, the left wants rules for the DEMS and a separate set of rules for the GOP and us peons.

Had Trump used the Insurrection Act when he had the chance and had a very valid reason in doing so, we wouldn't be in the mess that we are faced with now.  He folded like a cheap suit.  He waited to try to do something and by then it was way too late and no one wanted to back him because they were afraid of losing their seats in the upcoming election.  That was the bottom line.  He himself was afraid of losing the election if he implemented the Insurrection Act.

Here we sit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act_of_1807
"several of them went ahead without the request of the state."

Correct. In 1957 Eisenhower sent in the 101 Airborne to Little Rock to protect several black students attempting to integrate Little Rock public schools. He did it over the objections of Arkansas gov. Orval Faubus.
The facts are the fed gov. doesn't need to be invited in to put down disorders.
Just imagine if you live in a state where either the city or the state authorities allow massive rioting and pillaging. One city that fit that description was Minneapolis during the Summer of 2020 where the mayor and the gov. sat back and allowed violent mobs to burn down many buildings including police stations. Both Mayor Jacob Frey and Minn. gov.  Tim Walz should be serving time in a fed. prison for their crimes.
  When mobs are destroying your city and the local authorities do nothing, your civil rights are being violated. That's where the fed. gov. comes into play. You are not held hostage by the criminal actions and words of your city and state authorities.
  You are an American citizen. If your city and state authorities fail to protect you, it is up to the fed. gov. to do so.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 12:35:48 am by goatprairie »

Offline christian

Liberty bele:
??? WHY didn't Trump implement the Insurrection Act when the Floyd riots were going on and they torched St. John's cathedral? Bible in hand in front of the cameras Trump promised he would quell the riots.  He didn't. He made that promise more than once and the leftists, woke mobs called his bluff. He was more worried about his re-election than the state of our country.

Trump is out for Trump and retribution. To think otherwise, you are only fooling yourself.

At over seventy years old, i cannot recall any President to betrayed by people all around him in office or out of office.  How many times impeached?  How many times a far worse President JOE?  You answer is right in you face on a very frequent basis!  Can you willfully be so blind?  The open treason in office and felony public lynching attempt afterward of Trump.  Can you be so blind?  REALLY?  NO WONDER THINGS ARE AS BAD AS THEY NOW ARE!
 :dumpster: :reaper: :media: :reaper: :dumpster:

Offline libertybele

At over seventy years old, i cannot recall any President to betrayed by people all around him in office or out of office.  How many times impeached?  How many times a far worse President JOE?  You answer is right in you face on a very frequent basis!  Can you willfully be so blind?  The open treason in office and felony public lynching attempt afterward of Trump.  Can you be so blind?  REALLY?  NO WONDER THINGS ARE AS BAD AS THEY NOW ARE!

Excuses after excuses .... he WAS the sitting President.  He had every right and authority to implement the Insurrection Act and he FAILED to do so.  He promised to quell the riots not once but twice and he didn't do it -- so they called his bluff. 

He was impeached --  he wasn't removed from office -- that's a very lame excuse and has absolutely nothing to do with the Insurrection Act.

The one that is blind is you -- open your eyes.  None of his policies took hold.  He has 91 felonies against him - - whether bogus or not, all they need is one to stick. He's talked about 'Freedom Cities' , being a dictator for one day, slanders conservatives -- and this is who you want to run our country again??  He FAILED to build the wall - keep in mind he had a super majority for 2 years and did NOTHING!!!

So @christian exactly what has changed or are you expecting he will deliver a different result and if so, how??

Offline christian

All those implementations done by Trump and undone by Biden in a day, and its Trumps fault for what Biden did, the undoing.  Blindness and amnesia run rampant by Never Trumpers that swear they never existed.

Quite a side show going on, eh?

As the Bible said, Given over to confusion.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What Little Dickie is REALLY worried about is the possible deployment of troops to guard our borders in order to keep the illegal aliens from invading America and being registered as Dim voters.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@christian

They are not only WILLFULLY blind,they are having micro-orgasms (because they aren't adult enough  for the full-strength ones) as they do their little superiority dances over keeping "Rude,RICH Orange Man" out of the WH.

And it will never ONCE occur to them that THEY are as much responsible for the leftist complete takeover of America as any rabid leftist you will ever meet or hear of.

Causen hits all about "Me,Me,ME,and to HELL with America,DAMMIT!

Well,to be fair that is not 100 percent  true. Many are so stupid they just don't know any better and so hardheaded you just can't teach them.

I bet their new Globalist Masters can bring them to heel,though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 03:51:55 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bilo

Oh come on, this is a simple one to answer.

Our military is more than capable to stop those that try to come into the country illegally, especially if given the authority to use deadly force. However, our military does not have the training to conduct law enforcement investigations. If we were to take active military police and place them in high crime areas that might be helpful, but even then it will take time to get them up to speed on who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline roamer_1

All those implementations done by Trump and undone by Biden in a day, and its Trumps fault for what Biden did, the undoing.  Blindness and amnesia run rampant by Never Trumpers that swear they never existed.

Many of us here PREDICTED that exact scenario.

BECAUSE he's an ***hole that pisses absolutely everybody off - People that he NEEDS to govern - He passed NO laws. He governed entirely by Executive Order - and EO's are always overturned. It is their nature.

That's why you need a coalition strong enough to get laws to the floor and passed - Because law is not quickly overturned. You go in there like an emperor, and you get 4 year, maybe eight... And then everything you did amounts to nothing. Nothing. He did NOTHING, and all it cost us was 20 trillion dollars... For nothing.

Offline roamer_1

@christian

They are not only WILLFULLY blind,they are having micro-orgasms (because they aren't adult enough  for the full-strength ones) as they do their little superiority dances over keeping "Rude,RICH Orange Man" out of the WH.

And it will never ONCE occur to them that THEY are as much responsible for the leftist complete takeover of America as any rabid leftist you will ever meet or hear of.

Causen hits all about "Me,Me,ME,and to HELL with America,DAMMIT!

Well,to be fair that is not 100 percent  true. Many are so stupid they just don't know any better and so hardheaded you just can't teach them.

I bet their new Globalist Masters can bring them to heel,though.

Bullshit @sneakypete .

You want me to vote for your big government liberal from the right.
I will not.
End of story.

If you want my vote, raise up a conservative. THEN I will stand with you through thick and thin.
But not for big government on the right, that did more damage to fiscal conservatism and libertarianism than anyone in American history his first time around.

HELL NO. No more of that.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I thought posse commitatus covered this?

Offline christian

All those implementations done by Trump and undone by Biden in a day, and its Trumps fault for what Biden did, the undoing.

Seems to have been written in invisible ink!  Though Biden erased what Trump did, blame it ll on Trump anyway. Some people deny they are wearing blinders, even while blatantly showing they are!  Like Judas Iscariot announcing: Who me, i didn't do nuthin, I deny it all.
 :dumpster::reaper: :dumpster:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
LAW AND ORDER!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline christian

goatprairie:
One city that fit that description was Minneapolis during the Summer of 2020 where the mayor and the gov. sat back and allowed violent mobs to burn down many buildings including police stations. Both Mayor Jacob Frey and Minn. gov.  Tim Walz should be serving time in a fed. prison for their crimes.

We had a democrat governor and mayor stood by letting many civilians and old people die over Hurricane Hurricane Katrina hitting New Orleans believing they could lie and spin the blame on the Republican President by using the media.  They much failed but later succeeded using Bidens betrayal of American citizens at Afghanistan. When democrats escape the blame they have earned and are due.  Like failed history, they are glad to make Americans pay with their lives again later, because they know they can get away with it.  May their endless stooges pay with their lives eternally.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I thought posse commitatus covered this?
I did, too, but I think there are provisions in the Patriot Act that changed that.

I find great irony that Trump is pursued for "insurrection" over the riot on J6 when that is exactly what was going on in Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Kenosha, etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis