Author Topic: Special Operations: Specialized Combat Support Vehicles  (Read 166 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Special Operations: Specialized Combat Support Vehicles
« on: January 25, 2024, 01:52:58 pm »

Special Operations: Specialized Combat Support Vehicles

January 16, 2024: Soon after Russia invaded in early 2022, Ukraine formed small mobile units of troops using All-Terrain Vehicles/ATVs from a variety of manufacturers and usually armed with locally manufactured Anti-Tank Guided Missiles/ATGMs. Some were armed with heavy machine-guns or automatic grenade launchers. Some of the ATVs were carrying captured Russian ATGMs. The ATGM systems mounted on the ATVs were the ones that were heavier and more cumbersome to carry on foot into combat. For that the Ukrainians preferred the more portable Western ATGMs. The ATVs were ideal for using heavier and less portable locally produced ATGMs.

These 21s-Century Cossacks are doing what the first Cossacks did 500 years ago, traveling light and using whatever weapons they could carry and use on foot or on horseback. The original Cossacks were most effective at raiding and restricting the movements and capabilities of a larger force. Cossacks would raid supply columns and force the enemy to use more troops for guard duty and larger reconnaissance patrols. Cossacks could weaken a larger force and reduce its offensive capabilities.

It’s not surprising that these modern Cossacks would emerge in Ukraine now, because this sort of speedy improvisation by a largely recent volunteer force of civilians is one reason the Russians have been losing. The Ukrainians know what they are fighting for while most of the Russian troops who initially invaded were unaware, they were in another country until hastily organized and armed Ukrainians began ambushing them with effective anti-tank weapons and superior tactics and communications. Russian troops are still unsure why they are invading Ukraine while the Ukrainians are defending themselves any way they can.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsf/articles/20240116.aspx
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Special Operations: Specialized Combat Support Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 01:57:10 pm »
They have shut down so much of the SOFs, what is the cost/benefit ratio of special new vehicles?  I want them to have the best of everything, but the military is whining about revenue shortage as it is.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson