Author Topic: Pentagon Accelerates Next-Gen Interceptor to Counter New Enemy ICBMs, Missiles  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Accelerates Next-Gen Interceptor to Counter New Enemy ICBMs, Missiles
Next Generation Interceptor (NGI) being accelerated to another urgent operational requirement
JOHNNY FRANKS, WARRIOR EDITORIAL FELLOW18 HOURS AGO
by Johnny Franks, Warrior Editorial Fellow

In the realm of national defense, advanced technologies play a crucial role in safeguarding a nation's security. Among these, the Ground-Based Interceptor (GBI) stands out as a key element of the United States' Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) system. A GBI is designed to intercept ballistic missiles during their midcourse phase outside the atmosphere and consists of a two-stage booster of solid fuel and an Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle (EKV). The EKV is an essential element of the GBI and utilizes an infrared seeker, a guidance system, and a propulsion package to home in and neutralize approaching missiles through collision.

Within its various years of research, the GBI has been developed in phases. Recently the Capability Enhancement-I (CE-I) and Capability Enhancement-II (CE-II)) versions went into service. The CE-I began operations in 2004 and it was the first EKV variant to be launched for GMD. This involved developing CE-I and CE-II variant forms in 2003 and 2005 respectively, the latter of which improved target discrimination capabilities as well as adopting a more sensitive infrared seeker. However, despite improvements, both suffered huge setbacks amid efforts to improve capabilities culminating in two failed tests in 2010 due to performance issues.

In a change of strategy, the GBI program welcomed a Redesigned Kill Vehicle (RKV) and Multi-Object Kill Vehicle (MOKV). The RKV is a newly designed interceptor component aimed at enhancing precision and reliability in targeting incoming threats, while the MOKV represents an advanced concept capable of engaging multiple targets simultaneously, thus increasing the effectiveness of missile defense systems against complex ballistic missile salvos. The redesign was a big effort by MDA to enhance target acquisition as well as increase reliability, maintainability, and affordability. However, it faced technical design issues and was canceled in 2019. This led to a Next Generation Interceptor (NGI) being accelerated to another urgent operational requirement. The NGI project to replace the GBI within the GMD system will represent a marked step forward in interceptor technology. Its development timeline anticipates testing approximately around 2025-26 and borne by 2027-28.

https://warriormaven.com/global-security/pentagon-accelerates-next-gen-interceptor-to-counter-new-enemy-icbms-missiles
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
ITS UNACCEPTABLE!!  Its going to use some kind of combustible material to propel it which isn't keeping with the eco-friendly dictates of the military! OMGGGGGGG
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson