Author Topic: California Bill Would Require New Cars Come Equipped with Speed-Limiting Device  (Read 1636 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 California Bill Would Require New Cars Come Equipped with Speed-Limiting Device
Story by David Zimmermann • 17h

A California Democrat introduced bill this week that would require automakers in the state to equip new vehicles with speed governors — devices that restrict how fast people can drive.

The technology, if passed under the legislation, would prevent California drivers from going 10 mph or more over the posted speed limit in any given area. The bill would mandate that cars and trucks of the 2027 model year or later that are manufactured or sold in California be installed with speed governors.

State senator Scott Wiener, a Democrat who represents San Francisco, introduced SB 961 on Wednesday to reduce the number of traffic deaths in the Bay Area and in California, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

“The tragic reality is that a lot of people are being severely injured or dying on our streets in San Francisco and throughout the country, and it’s getting worse,” Wiener told the Bay Area newspaper.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-bill-would-require-new-cars-come-equipped-with-speed-limiting-device/ar-BB1hcHOL?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=547a8929ef11409e9ec6886ef9f6d146&ei=52
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Do these clowns really think that will do anything other than spike the cost of cars? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Another cottage industry arises - disabling the latest round of nannystate devices on new cars.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Do these clowns really think that will do anything other than spike the cost of cars? :shrug:
Not to mention that there are times when going faster, if for only a minute is what will keep you alive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

"Hot" PROM's (Programmable Read-Only Memory) will be all the rage on the Black Market.

New Government Restriction = New Criminal Opportunity
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline DB

The only way this will work is if your car is connected to GPS and the nanny state via cellular or satellite connection.

Any attempts to disable it will likely result in large fines because they will track your car live.

Offline PeteS in CA

So, an electronic controller that could fail the depends on electronic communication that could fail or be hacked? Oh! Hades! No!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

So, an electronic controller that could fail the depends on electronic communication that could fail or be hacked? Oh! Hades! No!
This is why I am keeping my 20th century vehicles going.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

The only way this will work is if your car is connected to GPS and the nanny state via cellular or satellite connection.

Any attempts to disable it will likely result in large fines because they will track your car live.

Um, no.  Speedometers on automobiles measured the speed of the vehicle for decades before there was such a thing as GPS, and new cars, for instance my Mazda Miata RF, have the ability to read speed limit signs and display the last speed limit read somewhere near the speedometer.  All you need is to use the data from the two to prevent acceleration beyond the posted speed plus 10 mph.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline mountaineer

This is why I am keeping my 20th century vehicles going.
I may have to learn how to drive my 1922 Chevy. At least there's no computer!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

I may have to learn how to drive my 1922 Chevy. At least there's no computer!
Keep a spare magneto in a faraday cage and you will be able to go after a major EMP, too. (just don't lose the crank).
From the first autos into the mid 1970s there were no computers. I have three that fit that group, one with a 460 engine (very capable of exceeding posted limits, even if I don't drive it that way).

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Another cottage industry arises - disabling the latest round of nannystate devices on new cars.

That is nothing new, btw...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
That is nothing new, btw...

Punching a hole through the guts of a catalytic converter and running on regular gas.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DB

Um, no.  Speedometers on automobiles measured the speed of the vehicle for decades before there was such a thing as GPS, and new cars, for instance my Mazda Miata RF, have the ability to read speed limit signs and display the last speed limit read somewhere near the speedometer.  All you need is to use the data from the two to prevent acceleration beyond the posted speed plus 10 mph.

Perhaps. So if you were in a 15 mile an hour zone and your camera fails to capture the change to 55, too bad for you? Your stuck at 25 until you can find another sign? People could just post fake signs to screw with people if that's all it took. It won't be.

Google maps knows the speed limits but has to know your location to do it. Government wants to tax you based on the miles you travel and on what roads. When they do it, it won't be benign. It opens the door to many other government desires to track you.

Offline roamer_1

Punching a hole through the guts of a catalytic converter and running on regular gas.

yeah... and rednecks have been defeating governors since Hector was a pup...