Author Topic: Tennessee Blocks Half a Million People From Voting in 2024 Election  (Read 936 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Tennessee Blocks Half a Million People From Voting in 2024 Election
Story by Aliss Higham • 20h

Nearly 500,000 people in Tennessee will be barred from voting in the upcoming presidential election, with critics claiming new electoral rules will likely disproportionately affect Black and Latinx people.

Those convicted of certain felony crimes in Tennessee (tried in any U.S. state) have previously been able to vote only if they had been pardoned or had their voting rights restored. Felons convicted of extremely serious crimes, such as first-degree murder, may or may not have voting rights restored—depending on the year in which the conviction took place, according to the Tennessee Secretary of State.

In the summer of 2023, state election officials perceived a Tennessee Supreme Court decision as mandating that anyone with felony convictions seeking reinstatement of their voting rights must either have their complete citizenship rights reinstated by a judge or prove they have been pardoned. Newsweek has contacted the Secretary of State for Tennessee for comment and clarification via the form on its website.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/tennessee-blocks-half-a-million-people-from-voting-in-2024-election/ar-BB1hceKa?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=547a8929ef11409e9ec6886ef9f6d146&ei=26
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Tennessee Blocks Half a Million People From Voting in 2024 Election
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 01:14:03 pm »
The headline certainly implies it could be racism but they didn't mention white people face the same problem just not in such large numbers.  Tennessee isn't "blocking" anyone.  They blocked themselves by committing a felony. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 11:48:05 pm »
Gee.
Why couldn't they have been law-abiding and kept their voting rights, instead?

Cue up Seinfeld:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 02:28:25 am »
Is there really such a thing as latinx?   :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 02:59:13 am »
I bet those dead people are gonna be pissed!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 03:48:40 am »
Wow, a State enforcing its own election laws.  How refreshing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 03:55:58 am »
I bet those dead people are gonna be pissed!

I will be able to visit my parents graves now since the will be stopped from voting demorat.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 04:06:21 am »
The headline certainly implies it could be racism but they didn't mention white people face the same problem just not in such large numbers.  Tennessee isn't "blocking" anyone.  They blocked themselves by committing a felony.

Well, look at who wrote the headline - msn.com!
That is a very common propaganda technique used by the "mainstream" media -
publish the story with the relevant info buried several paragraphs in,
but publish a misleading headline,
to deceive the many people who just scan the headlines.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 08:49:12 am »

Well, look at who wrote the headline - msn.com!
That is a very common propaganda technique used by the "mainstream" media -
publish the story with the relevant info buried several paragraphs in,
but publish a misleading headline,
to deceive the many people who just scan the headlines.

:yowsa:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis