State Chapters > Texas

Gov. Abbott Stands His Ground

<< < (2/45) > >>

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Jack Russell on January 25, 2024, 12:14:24 am ---Yeah I am too.  Here's hoping things don't get ugly before it's over.

--- End quote ---
Well, the view from the cheap seats is that Biden and Company are trying to provoke an incident and the SCOTUS is helping them. This bodes ill for the Republic.

mystery-ak:
 Abbott doubles down on border ‘invasion’ declaration after Supreme Court blow
by Rafael Bernal - 01/24/24 4:08 PM ET

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) on Wednesday accused the federal government of breaking the compact with the states following a Supreme Court ruling on Monday that cleared the way for the Border Patrol to remove razor wire installed by Texas along the U.S.-Mexico border.

In a statement, Abbott said, “President Biden has refused to enforce [immigration] laws and has even violated them.”

It’s the latest escalation in a legal and political standoff between Texas and the federal government, though Abbott stopped short of announcing any specific measures.

He has been pushing constitutional boundaries on state versus federal jurisdiction of border and immigration enforcement for the better part of two years; his legal team, including state Attorney General Ken Paxton, first publicly toyed with the idea of formally declaring a border “invasion” in April 2022.

In that November, Abbott wrote Biden invoking a state’s constitutional right to wage war when invaded, but he only made his official invasion declaration public in September.

more
https://thehill.com/latino/4427387-abbott-texas-border-invasion-supreme-court-immigration/

Hoodat:
The United States is Constitutionally bound to protect Texas from invasion.

corbe:
   He should have done this years ago, as should've Perry and Bush.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on January 25, 2024, 12:19:46 am ---Well, the view from the cheap seats is that Biden and Company are trying to provoke an incident and the SCOTUS is helping them. This bodes ill for the Republic.

--- End quote ---

I'm not surprised @Roberts siding with the DEMS but I was somewhat surprised with Barrett.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version