Author Topic: The Hysterical Style in American Politics  (Read 331 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Hysterical Style in American Politics
« on: January 24, 2024, 06:25:09 pm »
The Hysterical Style in American Politics
Inventing crises to advance unpopular agendas.
January 23, 2024 by Victor Davis Hanson 15 Comments

The post-Joe McCarthy era and the candidacy of Barry Goldwater once prompted liberal political scientist Richard Hofstadter to chronicle a supposedly long-standing right-wing “paranoid style” of conspiracy-fed extremism.

But far more common, especially in the 21st Century, has been a left-wing, hysterical style of inventing scandals and manipulating perceived tensions for political advantage.

Or, in the immortal words of former President Barack Obama’s chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, “Never let a serious crisis go to waste.”

The 2008 economic emergency was created on September 7, with the near collapse of the home mortgage industry.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/the-hysterical-style-in-american-politics/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Hysterical Style in American Politics
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 06:26:32 pm »
It's a clone of the story of Chicken Little! ***hair on fire
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 12:31:01 am »
Fools refuse to comprehend the hysteria they are glad to embark on just before and during an election has to be paid for in blood and treasury thereafter.  A concept they seem to forever play the fool for.  Then they fade away to escape the nasty fame they worked so hard to obtain.  Such is the way of useful fools, wicked and full of perverseness.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 03:07:13 pm »
The post-Joe McCarthy era and the candidacy of Barry Goldwater once prompted liberal political scientist Richard Hofstadter to chronicle a supposedly long-standing right-wing “paranoid style” of conspiracy-fed extremism.

The 2008 economic emergency was created on September 7, with the near collapse of the home mortgage industry.

1. All those "conspiracy theories" turned out to be completely true.

2. The crisis was not created in one day. It took a few years to manufacture that very real crisis. My email inbox was flooded with thousands of offers to refinance my home for 125% of its value. How many people fell for that offer?

That, and the "too big to fail" banks created derivatives that acted like insurance policies against mortgage defaults. But they didn't build up cash reserves to cover those obligations that they promised to all the investors who bought those fraudulent derivatives.

Young employees at those "too big to fail" banks warned their managers that they were setting themselves up for disaster. The managers told the young employees, "Don't worry about it. The government will bail us out."

The fact that there would be a bailout was agreed upon by the banks and the politicians BEFORE the crisis even started to be created! The crisis was INTENTIONALLY created because the banks' top officials had already made agreements with the politicians to have a bailout!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao