Author Topic: $50M+ improperly spent on DOD credit cards during COVID pandemic  (Read 126 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
$50M+ improperly spent on DOD credit cards during COVID pandemic
By Meghann Myers
 Jan 23, 12:33 PM

A recent Defense Department Inspector General report reveals that millions of dollars in COVID-19 funds were mischarged on government credit cards. (Navy)
The COVID-19 pandemic forced units and offices throughout the Defense Department to stock up on a range of supplies, from disposable masks to gloves and disinfectant, all of which could be purchased with a government-issued credit card and paid off by the Pentagon.

But a DOD Inspector General review of more than 100,000 government purchase card transactions made from March 2020 to January 2022 reveals that roughly $54 million in purchases didn’t align with COVID-19 necessities.

That is nearly 40% of the $242 million spent on such needs, according to the IG report.

Another $52 million, in purchases wasn’t properly documented, and the IG was unable to verify what the cardholders actually bought.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2024/01/23/50m-improperly-spent-on-dod-credit-cards-during-covid-pandemic/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson