Author Topic: HOW THE F-16 CHANGED AIR WARFARE FOREVER  (Read 181 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
HOW THE F-16 CHANGED AIR WARFARE FOREVER
« on: January 24, 2024, 02:50:04 pm »
AIRPOWER
BY ALEX HOLLINGS
JANUARY 19, 2024

The F-16 Fighting Falcon, known affectionately by many pilots as the Viper, is the most widely operated fighter aircraft on the planet for a reason.

In an era when fighter designs were largely focused on what could be argued were glamour metrics like top speed and service ceiling, the F-16 emerged as the embodiment of a new approach to air warfare. Using a classified analysis of air-to-air combat as its guide, General Dynamics devised a fighter that emphasized performance within the specific speed-envelope in which dogfights were likely to occur.

The result was an aircraft that may not set any speed or climbing records like the F-15 Eagle that preceded it, but that could nonetheless outmatch, outturn, and outperform nearly any fighter it could come across… and all for less than half the cost of top-tier fighters of its day.

https://www.sandboxx.us/news/how-the-f-16-changed-air-warfare-forever/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: HOW THE F-16 CHANGED AIR WARFARE FOREVER
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 02:51:21 pm »

At one time the crossbow was considered the weapon to end all wars. :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: HOW THE F-16 CHANGED AIR WARFARE FOREVER
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 03:10:15 pm »
At one time the crossbow was considered the weapon to end all wars. :shrug:

I think that the point of the article was that the F-16 (and F-18) changed the focus of fighter design from speed and climb rate to speed, climb, and maneuverability. I doubt that the article suggested that the F-16 would last forever (though its 45+ years and counting in service is pretty impressive).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.