Author Topic: Pentagon Makes It Official: U.S. Industrial Decline Is Undermining National Defense  (Read 541 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Makes It Official: U.S. Industrial Decline Is Undermining National Defense
Loren Thompson
Senior Contributor
I write about national security, especially its business dimensions.

Jan 22, 2024,10:14am EST

Earlier this month the Department of Defense released its first-ever National Defense Industrial Strategy, setting forth a framework for revitalizing the sinews of American economic strength most critical to military preparedness.

The document is strikingly similar in tone to a series of industrial assessments issued during the Trump administration, the last of which warned that the “steady deindustrialization” of the United States in recent decades had left the nation militarily vulnerable.

The Trump report recommended “reshoring” critical manufacturing capabilities that had migrated to Asia, bolstering workforce skills, modernizing defense acquisition processes, and partnering private-sector innovators with public-sector resources.

The Biden strategy recommends many of the same steps, reflecting concern over industrial base weaknesses that became apparent during the global pandemic and subsequent efforts to support Ukraine’s military campaign against Russian invaders.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2024/01/22/pentagon-makes-it-official-us-industrial-decline-is-undermining-national-defense/?sh=5707313d45a4
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 03:43:54 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Makes It Official: U.S. Industrial Decline Is Undermining National Defense

You don't suppose excessive governmental intrusion and taxation have anything to do with it, do you? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wow. A real 'Sherlock' moment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
It starts in school...they're "graduating" a bunch of uneducated morons who are incapable of performing simple tasks, let alone complex ones as demanded in industry.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
You don't suppose excessive governmental intrusion and taxation have anything to do with it, do you? :whistle:

Unions, taxation, environmental regulation, short-sighted penny pinching, forced industry consolidation, and too much political interference in procurement.

And it all goes back to THIS moment in time:

'The last supper': How a 1993 Pentagon dinner reshaped the defense industry

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2023/03/01/the-last-supper-how-a-1993-pentagon-dinner-reshaped-the-defense-industry

And that was quite an awakening, they heard from the Defense Department on how small an industry would be afforded. And I should add to that that in serious war time, the defense industrial base is really the national industrial base. And it too had manufacturing was severely declining at the same time. And in 1980, 18% of the workforce in the nation was in the manufacturing world. Shortly after the Last Supper it was 7%. So the commercial industrial base was declining and the defense industrial was going to decline. Big worry for any future need for large scale military equipment....

(snip)

But nevertheless, the effects of the Last Supper were lasting. Because there had been a real, complete transformation of the defense sector. I mean, in fact, a Department of Defense report last year found that right now the number of prime contractors in the United States has dropped by 90%, down from 51 in the 90s to just five today. Now, those companies are often referred to as the big five, Lockheed Martin, that Norman Augustine used to be the head of Raytheon, General Dynamics, Boeing and Northrop Grumman....

(snip)

And when I go back to the government in 1993, as we've talked about, I made a decision. We had too many companies in the defense world, which I happen to not disagree with what they did under the circumstances. But ... 30 years later, all of a sudden say, oh, my goodness, we don't have as many companies as we need in the defense world. And I think the big worry I have is so much of the equipment our military has today is so old. Technically, for example, the Air Force's largest number of fighters by far were developed 51 years ago when it entered engineering development 51 years ago.

The Army's tank, main tank went into development 50 years ago. And you can go down the list, the strategic bomber, the main strategic bomber ... think how much the technology has changed, how all those systems have been upgraded as they should have been. It's just very hard to turn a 1975 Buick into a modern car. And I just think that what we need to do is look at the problems we face today, which I think are immense, particularly with the evolution of China and aggression against Russia. And we may have to restructure the industry. I really don't know. But I think it's just wrong to point that the industry is behaving in the fashion that was just portrayed....

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Even if we started to fix this TODAY, it would probably take 20-25 years to get things where they need to be. If not longer...

Online libertybele

Is there anything that isn't in complete shambles??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The line for government handouts? Problem is we are running out of people to pay for all the lazy SOB's, especially with the democrats importing millions more leaches from around the world.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The oil industry has managed to become innovative and much more efficient since I broke out in '79. It's a different industry. But trying to go back to 'old school' style drilling would be beyond a challenge, and many of the support industries for vertical drilling (to find the 'next big thing') have disappeared since the main surge in horizontal drilling some 20-30 years ago.

Even then, the current oil patch is heavily dependent on computers (when I broke out there were no computers out on the rigs, not until the mid 80s), and those seem to be the main area I am not sure we could supply ourselves.

It isn't like the 30s and 40s where sewing machine manufacturers could shift over to producing guns.

Perhaps some more fundamental weapons systems could supplant the 'gee whiz' weaponry as well. After all, quantity has a quality all its own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis