Author Topic: Elon Musk Renews Conflict With Biden Administration After Millions Announced In Subsidies For Rural  (Read 940 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Forbes by Zachary Folk 1/22/2024

Elon Musk Renews Conflict With Biden Administration After Millions Announced In Subsidies For Rural Internet

Topline

President Biden announced an $82 million investment in high speed internet in rural North Carolina, drawing criticism from SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, who recently lost a nearly $900 million U.S. contract to provide internet service through Starlink.

Key Facts

The Biden administration’s announcement on Friday drew heavy criticism from FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr, a Republican appointed by President Trump, who noted the new investment cost $5,125 per location—compared to an estimated lower cost of $1,377 per household the government would have spent if they renewed SpaceX’s subsidies from the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund.

However, Starlink also requires expensive satellite equipment that starts at $599, and will require upgrades in the future, according to the company’s specifications.

Discussing the new investment at an event in Raleigh, Biden said that “fiber-optic cable is being laid in the ground as we speak,” which would not require the equipment investment Starlink needs to function.

Musk jumped on Carr’s criticism, calling the Biden administration’s decision “insane” and noting Starlink’s bandwidth capabilities “exceed” the FCC’s definition of high speed broadband.

More: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharyfolk/2024/01/22/elon-musk-renews-conflict-with-biden-administration-after-millions-announced-in-subsidies-for-rural-internet/?sh=4814ab72540a
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:48:16 am by Elderberry »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have a cousin who has Starlink and loves it. She's about 50 miles outside of DC in an area where good internet is hard to find.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

I have a cousin who has Starlink and loves it. She's about 50 miles outside of DC in an area where good internet is hard to find.

And that's cellular-over-wifi too... You can not only have good broadband, but a phone too.

I think most folks these days don't even compute the idea of being out of range.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And that's cellular-over-wifi too... You can not only have good broadband, but a phone too.

I think most folks these days don't even compute the idea of being out of range.
Especially not that close to DC. I'm in North Dakota and have fiber, they're outside of DC about 50 miles and have Verizon hotspot (not the best reception, either) or Starlink.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Especially not that close to DC. I'm in North Dakota and have fiber, they're outside of DC about 50 miles and have Verizon hotspot (not the best reception, either) or Starlink.

I've got folks in MO and KS - small town KS, and MO Ozarks that still don't have cell.

Don't surprise me much. I can go around the corner of that mountain right there, less than 5 miles off, and all civilization basically ceases abruptly. So it's always been a thing out here, and always will be a thing.

If you are off the valley floor, it is likely you have no natural gas, no cell service, and very likely no electricity. Forget phone and broadband... Not a chance in hell.

Starlink is a godsend to those folks.