Author Topic: House GOP already considering a future without Johnson  (Read 310 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House GOP already considering a future without Johnson
« on: January 22, 2024, 02:29:09 pm »
 House GOP already considering a future without Johnson

The new speaker’s future as Republican leader is inextricably tied to the party’s performance in November — if he can hang on that long.

By Olivia Beavers

01/21/2024 07:00 AM EST

Speaker Mike Johnson is beset with political challenges: At least two conservative lawmakers have begun threatening his job. The former acting speaker trashed Johnson’s performance this week. A border-policy showdown with the Senate and White House draws nearer every day.

And then there’s the problem of the 2024 campaign.

A growing number of House Republicans are increasingly frustrated with Johnson’s leadership and whispering about whether he can hang on to his role after 2024 — if he even makes it that far.

Despite serving barely three months as speaker, the Louisianan is already facing an immediate threat from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, who is openly disparaging him and suggesting she may try to boot him from the speakership.

more
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/21/house-gop-mike-johnson-future-00136677
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: House GOP already considering a future without Johnson
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 04:01:25 pm »
I'm just fascinated by the 30 or so members of the House Freedom Caucus who believe they have the right to a Speaker who aligns with them rather than with the other 180+ members.

I'm guessing that the actual power dynamics within the GOP caucus are much different than what it might seem from the grandstanding of some of those FC members. They get in front of cameras, they give the soundbites, and get amplified by sympathetic people on social media.  That can make it seem like they really have all the power, which also raises expectations.  But in the end...they get outvoted every time.  And we still have people like Matt "Moron" Rosendale claiming that it is better to have a more narrow majority so that the conservatives have more power.

Absolutely no clue what it takes to accomplish things rather than just grandstanding.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:30:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 04:19:54 pm »
Lots of Johnsons but no balls.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 04:22:27 pm »
None of this would have happened if they chose Steve Scalise for Speaker.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 04:31:07 pm »
None of this would have happened if they chose Steve Scalise for Speaker.

Wouldn't change regardless of who was Speaker.