Author Topic: Donald Trump's Taiwan Remarks Spark Fury and Concern  (Read 1120 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Donald Trump's Taiwan Remarks Spark Fury and Concern
« on: January 22, 2024, 02:19:14 pm »

Former President Donald Trump's comments suggesting the United States should not help Taiwan in the event of an invasion from China has sparked a new wave of anger and concern on social media.

Trump, who is the leading favorite to secure the GOP nomination for president after winning the Iowa caucus on Monday, sat for an interview on Fox News' Sunday Morning Futures With Maria Bartiromo where he was asked if, under a hypothetical second Trump presidency, the U.S. would protect Taiwan from Chinese aggression even if it meant going to war with China. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory, but the Communist Party leadership has never controlled the self-ruled island in its seven decades in power in Beijing. The former president declined to give a firm answer, but did suggest discontent with Taiwan for allegedly taking semiconductor business away from the U.S.

"Taiwan did take all of our chip business," Trump said. "We used to make all of our own chips, now they're made in Taiwan, 90 percent of [them]...Remember this, Taiwan took, smart, brilliant, they took our business away."

Read More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/donald-trumps-taiwan-remarks-spark-fury-and-concern/ar-BB1h2J1G

So another reason not to vote for Trump. I remember when the GOP hated Communist regimes and Russia.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline LMAO

Re: Donald Trump's Taiwan Remarks Spark Fury and Concern
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 02:23:22 pm »
Just like his statement he hopes the economy crashes in the next several months so it hurts Biden, some thoughts are best left to himself
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 02:26:24 pm »
Yes, and if China takes them, they own us.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 02:29:47 pm »
This is another example of Donald Trump just blurring out what he thinks his supporters want to hear, versus given anything any thought

We’re going to see a hell of a lot more of this in the coming months
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 02:32:02 pm »
This is another example of Donald Trump just blurring out what he thinks his supporters want to hear, versus given anything any thought

We’re going to see a hell of a lot more of this in the coming months

Also, this is another example of Donald Trump losing more supporters with these asinine quotes.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 02:56:29 pm »
Isn't this the year of the Dragon?

This is the year.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 03:00:05 pm »
Yes, and if China takes them, they own us.

Which Trump just doesn't think about because he only reacts to the immediacy of the moment.  Dangerous as hell.

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 03:07:31 pm »
What does this mean?

Look up year of the Dragon. It's a major deal in China. What better way to celebrate power than to exercise it.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 03:44:07 pm »
Trump is using the threat of Chi-com invasion to coerce Taiwanese chip manufacturers to open plants in the US.

Trump is a grifter.  If Taiwan wants security guranatees from the US, there needs to be something in for America / Trump.  Nobody rides for free.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 03:53:25 pm »
Taiwan didn't "take" or steal anything.  They found a niche market in which they lead the world.  They earned it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 04:05:21 pm »
Several of Trump's remarks lately are of concern.  He's unhinged and his focus is on retribution. 

Trump will never, ever win the WH again, so I'm more concerned right now with who the DEMS are going to replace Brandon with.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 04:36:18 pm »
Trump committing us to war with China over Taiwan now and China will take Taiwan before that can happen. That's the ticket.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 04:45:08 pm »
Trump committing us to war with China over Taiwan now and China will take Taiwan before that can happen. That's the ticket.

The US was already committed. He's backing out of that commitment opening the door for war.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 04:51:27 pm »
Trump's calculation is "what does Tainwan give America (Trump) in return?" ... luxury golf resorts on Taiwan, or loans to the Trump Organization with the understanding they don't need to be repaid?

If someone requests Trump to do anything for them, his first though is "What's in it for Trump?"

The US was already committed. He's backing out of that commitment opening the door for war.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2024, 05:06:08 pm »

Yeah, well, ten days ago Biden said the U.S. doesn't support Taiwan's independence and U.S. long standing policy is  "strategic ambiguity".
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DB

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 05:08:13 pm »
Yeah, well, ten days ago Biden said the U.S. doesn't support Taiwan's independence and U.S. long standing policy is  "strategic ambiguity".

As has every president before him since Taiwan began.

So what.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 05:45:02 pm »
Taiwan didn't "take" or steal anything.  They found a niche market in which they lead the world.  They earned it.
The chip production went to Taiwan for a reason, it was cheaper for American companies to have them made there. So Taiwan's 'stealing' was just a matter of being more competitive than American manufacturing. The same reason so many other products manufactured in America are now made in China.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 05:45:33 pm »
As has every president before him since Taiwan began.

So what.

Trump gave a noncommittal answer.

So what.

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 06:15:09 pm »
Trump gave a noncommittal answer.

So what.

Kind of like Biden's answer to Russia before Russia invaded Ukraine...

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 06:33:06 pm »
Trump's calculation is "what does Tainwan give America (Trump) in return?" ... luxury golf resorts on Taiwan, or loans to the Trump Organization with the understanding they don't need to be repaid?

If someone requests Trump to do anything for them, his first though is "What's in it for Trump?"

If Trump had golf courses in Taiwan, he would have recognized Taiwan's independence in his first term.  My guess Xi told Trump he was a wonderful guy.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2024, 06:36:10 pm »
The chip production went to Taiwan for a reason, it was cheaper for American companies to have them made there. So Taiwan's 'stealing' was just a matter of being more competitive than American manufacturing. The same reason so many other products manufactured in America are now made in China.

Chip production needs to come back to the U.S.  There is something to be said for 'made in America' and energy independence again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2024, 07:05:57 pm »
Chip production needs to come back to the U.S.  There is something to be said for 'made in America' and energy independence again.
There is no argument against that, not only will it mean technical and other support jobs, but strategically it absolutely imperative. We must have control of chips to insure no enemy like China can slip something inimical into them. Of course Trump won't be overly concerned because China Pooh says good things about him **nononono*

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 07:29:10 pm »

Absolutely.

Problem is all the communist ideals already here in fascist form. Starting with unions. Minimum wage. Gazillions of regulations including The Environment driving much.

We need to stop being so fascist/communist and selfish. Which as we can see actually works against self interest.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 08:03:29 am »
IIRC environmental regs concerning the use of CFCs (used to clean wafers before making chips and at other stages in the processes) drove chip makers out.
Ozone hole Al was part of that, as were other envirowhackos.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 11:50:46 pm »
America is not going to save Taiwan from mainland China any more than it's going to save Ukraine from Russia.

Sorry folks, this is what it is.

I've asked this question before, I'll ask it again:
How many members of this forum are willing to sacrifice their kids or grandkids to defend Taiwan ??

C'mon, step right up and tell us, don't be afraid.