Author Topic: What happened to George Pickering, the man who held doctors hostage to save his son’s life?  (Read 929 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WGTC

https://wegotthiscovered.com/true-crime/what-happened-to-george-pickering-the-man-who-held-doctors-hostage-to-save-his-sons-life/

Doctors told him his son was brain dead.

How far would you go to save your child’s life? In 2015, George Pickering was faced with that question when a Texas hospital declared his son “brain dead.” Rather than allow healthcare providers to remove his son from life support, Pickering pulled a gun instead.

According to The Washington Post, George Pickering III, Pickering’s son, had a history of seizures and was admitted to the Tomball Regional Medical Center after a stroke. Pickering III was declared “brain dead,” and an order was given to a “terminal wean” the 27-year-old man off life support. To stop it from happening, however, Pickering III’s father pulled a handgun at his son’s bedside and said, “I’ll kill all of you. You don’t think that’s the only weapon I got” (via WaPo).

Pickering, who was 59 at the time, later said he knew the hospital’s prognosis about his son was wrong, based on fatherly intuition, and despite the risk, he would not let his son die.

Before long, hospital staff called the police to report an armed man on the premises, and though George Pickering was quickly disarmed, he refused to surrender, causing an hours-long standoff at the facility. No shots were fired, but the decision to wean Pickering’s son off life support was never carried out. Eventually, Pickering gave up. According to the Houston Chronicle, Pickering told the police he had been recently diagnosed with an undisclosed illness and spent time in the Tomball Regional Medical Center before he was taken to jail.

Referring to the incident, Tomball police head of criminal investigations, Gary Hammond said:

“[Pickering] was very distraught. As you well know, people handle stress differently. You never can say what it will take to hit such a serious trigger mechanism … [PIckering] was wanting the best and for the doctors and nurses to pay more attention.”

Pickering spent 11 months in jail

Once in custody, George Pickering — who later admitted he was drunk the day he brought a gun to his son’s bedside — was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. One charge was dismissed, and Pickering spent 11 months in jail for the incident, including credit for jail time served, Click2Houston.com reported. As Pickering’s intuition told him, his son woke up and recovered.

Referring to what his father did, Pickering III later said, “There was a law broken, but it was broken for all the right reasons. I’m here now because of it. It was love” (via WaPo).

Online LMAO

Although I am glad to see that his son recovered, and I’m sure dad feels now he did the right thing,
there is no excuse to pull a weapon on medical staff. Violence against hospital workers is spiking. I see in here of it even at the hospital I work at.

The doctors probably made their medical decision on the information they had at that moment.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Was that the movie with Denzel Washington?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Although I am glad to see that his son recovered, and I’m sure dad feels now he did the right thing,
there is no excuse to pull a weapon on medical staff. Violence against hospital workers is spiking. I see in here of it even at the hospital I work at.

The doctors probably made their medical decision on the information they had at that moment.
I have one question.

Was the kid an organ donor?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Did that give them the authority to dismiss the Father's desire to keep trying, which ended up saving a life?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I have one question.

Was the kid an organ donor?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/12/23/texas-man-says-he-went-to-jail-for-swat-standoff-that-saved-sons-life/

Call it father’s intuition. Something told Pickering that the hospital was wrong to order a “terminal wean,” which would have slowly removed his son from life support. According to KPRC, someone had even already notified an organ donation organization of an incoming donation.

Online roamer_1

Yeah, I'll disagree entirely.

I know me, and faced with that dilemma, I can foresee a similar outcome - Less the drinking, so without any excuse.

'Medically wean' is fancy talk to cover up the killing... But that's what it is.
If I ain't where they are on that decision, you can bet money I will go to battle.

Perhaps first an attempt to move the boy to a hospital or long-term facility... No doubt I would have explored every option...
But if it comes down to it, I ain't gonna just stand there while they kill my son.

Nope. I get this guy.

Online roamer_1

If I were that Pickering feller, I would wear that conviction as a badge of honor.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/12/23/texas-man-says-he-went-to-jail-for-swat-standoff-that-saved-sons-life/

Call it father’s intuition. Something told Pickering that the hospital was wrong to order a “terminal wean,” which would have slowly removed his son from life support. According to KPRC, someone had even already notified an organ donation organization of an incoming donation.
Maybe it is just me, but because the organs are more viable while fresh, there seems to be a tendency to rush to the 'unrecoverable' conclusion and prep for harvest. While I can't prove anything, it has been something noted enough that I am not an organ donor.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis