Author Topic: Air Force’s next nuclear missile at risk after costs spike  (Read 299 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force’s next nuclear missile at risk after costs spike
« on: January 21, 2024, 02:40:46 pm »
Air Force’s next nuclear missile at risk after costs spike
By Stephen Losey
 Jan 19, 04:37 PM

The next-generation intercontinental ballistic missile dubbed the LGM-35A Sentinel has seen cost overruns of at least 37%, triggering a review process that could lead to a restructuring or even cancellation of the program. (Courtesy of Northrop Grumman)
WASHINGTON — The Air Force’s next nuclear missile program has exceeded its planned costs severely enough to trigger a report to Congress, potentially putting the program’s survival at risk.

The Northrop Grumman-made LGM-35A Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile has overrun its initial cost projections and incurred a critical Nunn-McCurdy breach, an Air Force spokesperson confirmed to Defense News. The Air Force notified Congress about the breach Thursday.

The Office of the Secretary of Defense will now review the Sentinel program, the Air Force said, and will decide whether to restructure the program, or cancel it entirely.

“Work under the current contract will continue until OSD completes its review of the Sentinel program,” the Air Force spokesperson said. “Maintaining a strong nuclear deterrent is critical to safeguarding our nation and protecting our allies from a nuclear attack.”

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2024/01/19/air-forces-next-nuclear-missile-at-risk-after-costs-spike/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Air Force’s next nuclear missile at risk after costs spike
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 02:41:46 pm »
The money being spent to finance illegal immigration would cover the cost of more than a few of those missiles. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Air Force’s next nuclear missile at risk after costs spike
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 04:31:18 pm »
There aren't enough skilled workers in aerospace to perform and complete the work.
People are being hired off the street with no prior experience to work on highly technical projects and their incompetence is causing vast amounts of re-work due to incorrect work.
X-59 is a classic example, almost 2 years behind schedule due to shoddy work.
U-2 program is on life support due to depot schedules not being met, aircraft being delivered way late and with numerous discrepancies causing the USAF to over fly the aircraft they do have to perform the missions.
Programs are over-running on budget and having to go back for additional $$ due to mismanagement caused by inexperience and ego.
NGC and Boeing have a long list of problems as well, in addition to Lockheed.
B21 hadn't flown until recently due to "issues" I can't get into.
KC-46 tanker is a dumpster fire and just now getting around to fixing most of its problems, but still has a number of serious flaws.
All of these "successes" being touted in the media through their public relations people are glossing over and hiding the reasons why.
The DoD is not publicizing these issues much either.

We're in a real bad way right now.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.