Author Topic: If There’s An Enthusiasm Gap, Republicans Better Be Ready To Deal With It.. Derek Hunter  (Read 404 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
If There’s An Enthusiasm Gap, Republicans Better Be Ready To Deal With It
Derek Hunter

Donald Trump supporters hate Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley, and their supporters hate Trump. Put those names in any order, and the sentence remains true. It’s a common refrain in politics – that candidates shouldn’t be so nasty to each other because whoever gets the nomination will need the support of the people who voted for the other candidates. And it’s true: winning in politics is about addition, not subtraction. But the math of the Iowa Caucuses should give everyone involved a reason to be concerned about the serious enthusiasm gap Republicans might be facing.

You heard it in the reporting of the Iowa results – Donald Trump had a “historic” victory. He won Iowa in a walk, with 51 percent of the vote. But just focusing on percentages misses the bigger picture: the number of people voting in the Republican Caucuses was WAY DOWN compared to 2016.

In 2016, 186,874 Iowans voted in the Republican caucuses. Ted Cruz won with 27.6 percent or 51,666 votes. This year, Donald Trump won with 56,260 votes, which constituted 51 percent. That’s a hell of a drop-off.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2024/01/21/if-theres-an-enthusiasm-gap-republicans-better-be-ready-to-deal-with-it-n2633932
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This might be a valid point, but weren't there serious weather issues?  Not sure if that's been taken into account.

That being said, the 11th Commandment that was ridiculed by Trump supporters existed for good reason.  One of the main ones was so that the party could unify around the eventual nominee after the convention.  It was always fine to have harsh disagreements on matters of policy.  What was never fine were personal insults. But Trump's penchant for making personal and degrading insults against other Republicans has earned him a lot of enemies within the GOP -  to the detriment of the GOP and conservatism. 

Cruz aside, it is both normal and completely predictable that people will hold grudges when you insult them personally, and will work to see you defeated.  Or at a minimum, not defend you if you are unfairly attacked.  The oddest thing about this is that Trump himself holds massive grudges against anyone he believes has not shown him the respect he believes he is due, or who crosses him in any respect.  And to make it even worse, Trump is hypersensitive to any criticism or perceived disrespect.

So what is really going on is that Trump and his supporters demand that a different set of rules apply to him than to anyone else.   He is free to insult personally and degrade anyone he wishes, while they are obligated to support him and not seek revenge.  But if anyone tweaks his hypersensitive ego, it's game on!

Screw that.  He should reap what he has sown.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 05:11:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

DeSantis is a cheap Trump knock-off wannabe poseur who wants Government to have more control of our daily lives.

Haley is a flip-flopping GOP shape shifter.

Trump is a malignant narcissistic psychopath. (But, in 2016 he was our malignant narcissistic psychopath vs Hillary Clinton).

Biden's mind has left the station.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline LMAO

DeSantis is a cheap Trump knock-off wannabe poseur who wants Government to have more control of our daily lives.

Haley is a flip-flopping GOP shape shifter.

Trump is a malignant narcissistic psychopath. (But, in 2016 he was our malignant narcissistic psychopath vs Hillary Clinton).

Biden's mind has left the station.

I did support DeSantis in the primary. But I do admit that he’s more socially conservative than I am. I used to be fairly libertarian when it came to social issues. But that’s tightening when I see things like transitioning and sexualizing children.

My support for him was based more on his congressional record when it came to spending. Donald Trump not only doesn’t care about the budget situation, he’s promising to make it worse.

In the way  unlikely event that DeSantis would’ve gotten the nomination, I would’ve liked to hear more of what a DeSantis presidency would look like economically and budget wise and way less woke

It looks like we’re gonna have a presidential campaign of retribution and signing the checks. All to the cheers of his supporters.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

My darkhorse GOP Primary candidate was Asa Hutchinson.

I was hoping he'd keep his campaign going because I think the GOP (Trump's) Convention (Coronation) is going to be a like a $h!t$how episode of "Survivor" where the last perosn standing wins.

Since you trashed them all, who do you like?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

My darkhorse GOP Primary candidate was Asa Hutchinson.

I was hoping he'd keep his campaign going because I think the GOP (Trump's) Convention (Coronation) is going to be a like a $h!t$how episode of "Survivor" where the last perosn standing wins.

What would you have done if Hutchinson won the primary? happy77
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy