Author Topic: ‘Military Culture Shift’ is the one book every leader needs to read this year  (Read 515 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Military Culture Shift’ is the one book every leader needs to read this year
By
Jessica Manfre
Jan 18, 2024
Reviewed by
Tessa Robinson

SUMMARY
Our military is the smallest since pre-World War II. Recruitment is down. Patriotism is down. Corie Weathers wanted to know why. Enter “Military Culture Shift.”
Corie Weathers grew up as a self-described “Gen X latchkey kid” who loved playing Wonder Woman and saving people.

“I didn’t realize it at the time," Weathers shared, "but I think that was the core part of me that really longed to do something that made a difference. I also didn’t like to see people bullied and would frequently get into fights defending my brother even though he was older. It got so bad my parents had to move us,” she laughed. “I realized I am pretty feisty when it came to people who were hurting.”

That sense of justice and helping others led her to become a mental health therapist just as she and her husband began Army life. Not long after his commissioning as a chaplain, he was deployed to Afghanistan and Weathers started her practice.

“I think that's what ultimately led to writing the book. After serving individuals and families and small groups for 15+ years, I realized I was seeing this hurt happening in a whole culture,” Weathers explained.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-life/military-culture-shift/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson