Author Topic: Navy Going Digital to Increase Energy Efficiency  (Read 252 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Going Digital to Increase Energy Efficiency
« on: January 20, 2024, 03:57:05 pm »
Navy Going Digital to Increase Energy Efficiency
1/19/2024
By Josh Luckenbaugh   

Refueling Navy ships while at sea — particularly larger vessels like destroyers — takes a lot of time and effort, requiring a supply ship to come fill up the tank.

While this may not be such a daunting task in peacetime, in a potential Indo-Pacific conflict an underway replenishment could become an easy target for an adversary. The Navy is going to need to make the most of every tank and spend as little time as possible at the pump, experts have said.

The service’s Global Energy Information System, or GENISYS, could play a key role in improving decision-making and fuel efficiency across the fleet. Its goal is “to accurately and consistently track surface ship energy usage to improve operational readiness,” a Navy spokesperson said in an email.

GENISYS consists of three applications: two ship-based applications called eLogBook and the Shipboard Energy Assessment System and an ashore, cloud-based component called the Fleet Energy Conservation Dashboard, the spokesperson said. The system achieved initial operational capability in 2023 “after GENISYS validated its ability to automatically transfer data from the ship-based applications on an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer to the Fuel Energy Conservation Dashboard application live on the government cloud,” the spokesperson said. As of the end of fiscal year 2023, GENISYS has been installed on 12 destroyers.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2024/1/19/navy-going-digital-to-increase-energy-efficiency
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Navy Going Digital to Increase Energy Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 03:58:00 pm »
I've heard all this jive before...it'll end up as another debacle.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 03:58:34 pm »
Using tech to increase energy efficiency instead of lethality is another sure sign of military wokeness. :wtf:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 04:21:18 pm »
Just put solar panels on the ships, then never a problem.  :silly:

I guess the panels will need to be quite a bit stronger to go supersonic! :silly:
Thomas Jefferson