Author Topic: Sports Illustrated's Entire Staff Told Their Jobs Have Been Eliminated After Authenic Brands Revok  (Read 1391 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Sports Illustrated's Entire Staff Told Their Jobs Have Been Eliminated After Authenic Brands Revokes License To Publish; Union Vows To "Fight For Every One Of Our Colleagues"

© Provided by Deadline
Following through on a warning earlier this month, Authentic Brands Group has revoked Sports Illustrated‘s license to publish due to a missed payment.

As a result of the move, the entire staff of the 70-year-old print and online publication was notified on Friday that their jobs were being eliminated.

"We appreciate the work and efforts of everyone who has contributed to the SI brand and business," SI operator The Arena Group wrote in a memo to employees that prompted outrage and lamentation on social media.

In a statement, Sports Illustrated Union and The NewsGuild of New York vowed to "fight for every one of our colleagues."

The Arena Group, which has operated the venerable brand under a license agreement since 2019, said in an SEC filing this month that it did not make a quarterly payment of about $3.75 million.
Authentic "issued the company a notice of breach with the intent to exercise its right of termination," Arena said in the filing, adding that they are "in discussion" with the licensor.

Authentic Brands did not immediately respond to Deadline's request for comment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sports-illustrated-s-entire-staff-told-their-jobs-have-been-eliminated-after-authenic-brands-revokes-license-to-publish-union-vows-to-fight-for-every-one-of-our-colleagues/ar-BB1gXFhz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=8569420b801e421bae96b03a318d2292&ei=37
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Go woke Go broke
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline goatprairie

I subscribed to SI for almost thirty years. i read it religiously every week. I also subscribed to many other sports mags. Now I subscribe to zero.
SI started going political back in the nineties. I can't remember the issue or the topic, but I remember reading some editorial by who whoever ran SI and wondering what does this have to do with sports?
Let them all get legitimate jobs.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Who needs writers when AI can do their jobs just as bad as todays crop of snowflakes.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sports Illustrated Lays Off Virtually Its Entire Staff Less Than a Year After Going Fully Woke
Story by Warner Todd Huston • 14h

Venerable sports magazine Sports Illustrated is suffering a major setback this week after its publisher announced that it was laying off the publication's entire staff. This comes after a neck-breaking turn toward wokeism and other internal problems over the last few years.

The story was first reported by Front Office Sports which revealed on Friday that Authentic, the licensing group that owns SI, terminated its contract with the magazine's management, The Arena Group.

Authentic bought the once highly popular sports magazine in 2019 for $110 million from former owners Meredith.

In an email sent to magazine staffers, Arena wrote, "We were notified by Authentic Brands Group (ABG) that the license under which the Arena Group operates the Sports Illustrated (SI) brand and SI related properties has been officially revoked by ABG. As a result of this license revocation, we will be laying off staff that work on the SI brand."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/sports-illustrated-lays-off-virtually-its-entire-staff-less-than-a-year-after-going-fully-woke/ar-BB1gXV9O?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=cccc88b7c2414cea9722583bde41175d&ei=28
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mod2

Topics merged and moved to Sports/Media

Offline mountaineer

Wall Street Silver
@WallStreetSilv
How it started:
Sports Illustrated put a trans dude in a swimsuit on the cover of their 2023 annual swimsuit edition.
How it's going:  All of the staff at Sports Illustrated was fired today.
Go woke, Go broke ... strikes again.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Head 'em up, move 'em out..."

Sports Illustrated... check.

Next up:
Time
Newsweek

And hopefully someday:
The Washington Post
The New York Times