Author Topic: Johnson backed into corner as conservatives put speaker on notice  (Read 943 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Johnson backed into corner as conservatives put speaker on notice
By
Cami Mondeaux
January 19, 2024 6:30 am

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) is quickly discovering what his predecessor learned before him: appeasing all corners of his party is no small task.

Less than three months after Johnson secured the speaker’s gavel, the Louisiana Republican has overseen several consequential votes that have threatened to split the GOP conference. The speaker has sought to keep all members of his party happy by avoiding tough decisions that could spark their ire, pushing Johnson into a corner as he must now lead his party into negotiations with Democrats on several issues.

The House on Thursday passed a continuing resolution to temporarily extend government funding and avoid a weekend shutdown, punting its spending deadlines for fiscal 2024 for a third time. The stopgap measure resulted from negotiations between Johnson and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), angering House conservatives who viewed the deal as a “surrender.”

The agreement has sparked whispers of retaliatory measures against Johnson, including a possible motion to vacate, the same weapon that was used to oust former Speaker Kevin McCarthy over his spending deal with Democrats.

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) was among the first to weigh a motion to vacate against the speaker, telling the Steve Deace Show earlier this month the option was “on the table.” Since then, more conservatives have aired similar threats.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/2805515/mike-johnson-backed-into-corner/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Johnson backed into corner as conservatives put speaker on notice
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 03:10:10 pm »
Johnson has been a great disappointment. Show him the exit door.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 03:19:40 pm »

The article makes it clear that the problem is a divided caucus - there are issues on which you can't get 218 Republicans to agree.   Changing Speakers won't change the math because there just aren't enough votes to support much of the conservative agenda.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 03:20:42 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 03:31:17 pm »

And replace him with whom?  Who actually has the votes to get the job?
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 03:43:30 pm »

Who the hell would want the job. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 04:06:11 pm »
 ////00000////

The perfect MAGA Speaker of the House:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 04:18:11 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 04:52:19 pm »

You're right. He lost all leverage when he didn't push the budget issue right after he was made Speaker. When he agreed to a CR running into January he guaranteed that nothing would be done because it's an election year and the establishment loyalists in the Pub party are more interested in staying in office than attacking a controversial issue like deficit spending.

Congress is a graveyard of failed lawyers and career politicians. The budget issue is not going to be solved and the economic consequences are not going to be avoided. I don't see anyone, including Trump, being able to solve this problem.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 05:10:49 pm »
The WOKE globalist are not stupid, they bought and own the democrat party and as such they solid unit march without any division, except rarely otherwise.  The Republicans only partially bought and owned, but the WOKE amongst them loathe to not lock-step, they join with the democrats.   Odd how seldom they are interested in representing America and its people.  Some mysteries are just to deep for some to comprehend, eh?
 :rolling: :silly: :smokin: :silly: :rolling:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 05:38:26 pm »
Given the imminent budget/debt train wreck ahead of us, what is there to lose by standing your ground?

Nobody is going to let us fund our budgets with debt, which is where we are going to be in a few years when interest rates overtake our receipts.
The Republic is lost.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 06:10:19 pm »

Just what we need, more chaos.

Sorry, but since Trump got in it seems we insist on racing to the bottom and engendering chaos as much as possible.

Part of the purpose of the Founders coming up with the Constitution was not just freedom but stability.  Because even the best intentions engender bad outcomes when chaos reigns.

And to think I disdained British “no confidence” votes out of nowhere in Parliament.  Geesh.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 07:02:31 pm »
You're right. He lost all leverage when he didn't push the budget issue right after he was made Speaker. When he agreed to a CR running into January he guaranteed that nothing would be done because it's an election year and the establishment loyalists in the Pub party are more interested in staying in office than attacking a controversial issue like deficit spending.

Congress is a graveyard of failed lawyers and career politicians. The budget issue is not going to be solved and the economic consequences are not going to be avoided. I don't see anyone, including Trump, being able to solve this problem.

You are correct...we have a bunch of politicians that are nothing but a heap of crappola.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 07:30:41 pm »
What is the point of the House of Representatives having the Power of the Purse if they do not exercise it, or leverage it, to move the conservative agenda forward?

Make a damn stand!
Fight for fiscal sanity!
Fight for border security!

Fiscal Conservatism is enduring death by a thousand Continuing Resolutions.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 12:11:53 am »
Wingnut throws the wrench up in the air and cries out:
"Who the hell would want the job."

I'll take it.
But you won't like what comes next.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 02:47:06 am »
////00000////

The perfect MAGA Speaker of the House:

:yowsa:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 02:47:22 am »

Republicans voting for Democrat pork have been the disappointment.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-