Author Topic: Banning people from carrying firearms in a post office is unconstitutional, violates 2nd Amendment  (Read 253 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Law Enforcement Today by: Jenna Curren 2024-01-15

Federal judge: Banning people from carrying firearms in a post office is unconstitutional, violates 2nd Amendment

TAMPA, FL - On Friday, January 12th, U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle ruled that a United States law prohibiting people from possessing firearms while inside of a post office goes against their constitutional rights.

According to Fox News, Judge Mizelle, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, cited a 2022 landmark United States Supreme Court decision that expanded gun rights when she dismissed part of an indictment charging a postal worker with illegally possessing a gun in a federal facility.

That landmark case, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, recognized a person's right to carry a handgun in public for self-defense and established a new test for assessing firearms restrictions, noting it must be "consistent with this nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation."

The indictment against the postal worker, Emmanuel Ayala, was brought forth because of the Smith & Wesson 9mm gun that he kept in a fanny pack with his concealed carry permit. Ayala framed his case around the Bruen decision, arguing that the prohibition against guns in a federal postal facility is "unconstitutional" as applied to him because the "historical record does not support a law banning firearms in post offices."

More: https://lawenforcementtoday.com/post-office

Offline mountaineer

I ignore the "no guns" sign at the post office and local public library, since I will not be shooting up either place but would like to be protected in case someone else does. The only one I heed is at the county courthouse, because I'll have to go through a metal detector.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org