Author Topic: Senate Passes Bill Averting Shutdown, Sends to House for Imminent Vote [update]  (Read 351 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Passes Bill Averting Shutdown, Sends to House for Imminent Vote

Bradley Jaye18 Jan 202435
1:54

The Senate advanced another short-term spending bill Thursday afternoon.

The continuing resolution (CR) passed 77-18 over objections from conservatives, including Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who insisted on a vote to amend the bill, which failed.

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) immediately moved to set up an afternoon vote in the House. Passage would extend funding levels and priorities originally set by then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) in December 2022.

https://twitter.com/chiproytx/status/1748052875228413968

Even some Democrats voiced concerns with Congress’s inability to perform its most basic duty of passing timely appropriations bills, although they voted in favor of the extension.

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA), who voted for the CR despite his frustration, said the House should pass the bill and “then [get] to work on actual bipartisan government funding bills.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/01/18/senate-passes-bill-averting-shutdown-sends-to-house-for-imminent-vote/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:22:00 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Senate Passes Bill Averting Shutdown, Sends to House for Imminent Vote
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 09:49:36 pm »
Just read a 3 month old article in the last day that interest costs are now over $1T and climbing quickly. It's probably $1.2T by now. That's a quarter of tax receipts right now. assuming we don't have a recession.

Add to that powder our open border situation of several million people here now sucking on the teat and adding more weight on our institutions, and I'm asking what does the GOP have to lose to stand their ground? The train is going to slam into the crash wall within the next few years if not sooner.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House votes to avoid government shutdown after Speaker Johnson bucks GOP rebels
House leaders rushed the CR to the floor Thursday to avoid inclement weather
By Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published January 18, 2024 4:54pm EST

The House of Representatives on Thursday voted to advance a short-term government funding extension. The bill now goes to President Biden's desk, where he will have to sign it before the end of the day on Friday to avert a partial government shutdown.

It passed 314 to 108 and nearly split the House GOP in half — 107 Republicans voted for its passage, while 106 opposed.

House leaders rushed to put the bill, called a continuing resolution (CR), on the floor Thursday afternoon soon after the Senate passed it 77 to 18.

It was brought for a vote under a suspension of the rules, meaning it forgoes a procedural vote but then needs two-thirds of House lawmakers' support for final passage, rather than just a simple majority.

The decision was made amid widespread frustration within Speaker Mike Johnson's right flank over the passage of another CR. Johnson, R-La., previously vowed to be "done" with CRs after passing one in November, but congressional leaders have agreed it's needed to give lawmakers more time to cobble together a spending deal for fiscal year 2024.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-votes-avoid-government-shutdown-speaker-johnson-bucks-gop-rebels
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senate Passes Bill Averting Shutdown, Sends to House for Imminent Vote
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 11:31:02 pm »
Just read a 3 month old article in the last day that interest costs are now over $1T and climbing quickly. It's probably $1.2T by now. That's a quarter of tax receipts right now. assuming we don't have a recession.

Add to that powder our open border situation of several million people here now sucking on the teat and adding more weight on our institutions, and I'm asking what does the GOP have to lose to stand their ground? The train is going to slam into the crash wall within the next few years if not sooner.

Sad but true!  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Senate Passes Bill Averting Shutdown, Sends to House for Imminent Vote"

Folks, I'm dumb.
But I seem to remember something from somewhere (was it that document called The Constitution) that all funding must originate from the House?

If so, how can the Senate take the initiative and promulgate any bill that could be considered "Constitutional"?

I await your explanation.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Bills of Appropriation must originate in the US House to be Constitutional.

The House has no obligation to do anything with the US Senate's un-Constitutional abomination.  The "Bill" should be burned on the Floor of the House in public.

I'm not a lawyer who studied Constitutional Law under Lawrence Tribe at Harvard Law School, but, I did watch Saturday morning cartoons during the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8psP4S6BQ

A Saturday morning cartoon has more sense than US Senators.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 12:19:37 am by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.