Author Topic: The First Rule of Cluster Munitions: Don’t Talk about Cluster Munitions  (Read 127 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wed, 01/17/2024 - 1:36pm
The First Rule of Cluster Munitions:

Don’t Talk about Cluster Munitions

By John Nagl and Dan Rice

On January 10, 2024, the Congressional Research Service published a thorough 91-page document “Great Power Competition: Implications for Defense- Issues for Congress”.  The report covers the past, present and future of the Competition between Russia, China and the United States.   The report includes grand strategy, geopolitics, nuclear weapons, deterrence, conventional weapons, research & development, acquisitions, and supply chain issues; it provides a framework by which the Congress can set priorities and allocate resources for our national defense.

The two words that are conspicuously absent from this entire document: “Cluster Munitions.”

Referencing one of the greatest movies from the 20th Century, “Fight Club”, the first rule of cluster munitions must be “Never talk about ‘cluster munitions.”  This study repeats the word “deter” 90 times, Russia 370 times, China 344, Ukraine 152 times, conventional 33 times, and cyber 24 times.  But artillery is named only once, and “Cluster Munitions” were mentioned ZERO times.

This narrative needs to change if we are to successfully deter Russia and China.  Artillery has long been the #1 killer on land battlefields, as it is in Ukraine.  While aircraft carriers, fighters, UAVs, cyber, electronic warfare, and hypersonic missiles are of course important, the Ukraine war brings into focus the importance of artillery, and especially cluster munitions, for the future deterrence of our enemies in a land war. 

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/first-rule-cluster-munitions-dont-talk-about-cluster-munitions
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson