Author Topic: Marine Corps taking data-centric approach to network and battlefield information  (Read 255 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine Corps taking data-centric approach to network and battlefield information
The Marines are undergoing a paradigm shift when it comes to how they view the network, working to consolidate enterprise and tactical systems.
BY
MARK POMERLEAU
JANUARY 16, 2024

The Marine Corps is shifting its approach to the network, opting to focus more on getting data to the right place to enable faster decision-making.

The change is part of the Corps’ Network Modernization, or NETMOD, plan, which is a framework developed by the Office of the Deputy Commandant for Information to align resources and priorities for the network. It is a continual effort that is updated each year.

The paradigm shift pertains to the way the Corps thinks about its networks, moving from the now-outdated network-centric model — which envisioned a castle-and-mote mentality to network access — to a data-centric model, where the right information can be accessed by the right person anywhere with the proper security controls in place.

“As we talk about network modernization, I think you’ll see somewhat of a sea change come from the Deputy Commandant for Information office,” Maj. Gen. Ryan Heritage, commander of Marine Corps Forces Cyberspace Command and Marine Corps Forces Space Command, said in a December interview. “We’ll call it a change in focus, less network-focused and more data-centric and where we’re going and more of a more of a focus on the decisions that will be made from the tactical level all the way up to the strategic level. From a data perspective, how do we create a network that ensures not only the transport but the delivery and speed of the right data to the right decision-maker? That’s where we’re going.”

https://defensescoop.com/2024/01/16/marine-corps-taking-data-centric-approach-to-network-and-battlefield-information/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What good does it do if the person who uses it is qualified by DEI and not be ability? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

God, that post is full of vapid consultant nonsense.

The Marines on Guadalcanal were too busy killing enemy soldiers to muse about "paradigm shifts". 

The only "data-centric" metric of importance was how many more enemy soldiers they could kill.

Grunts were the "decision-maker(s)".  The only "right data" they needed was the location of more enemy soldiers to kill.

My eighth grade teacher was a veteran of Guadalcanal who took a Japanese bayonet to his neck.

I loved listening to World War II veterans.  They were direct and clear. 

A neighbor whose driveway I snow-shoveled fought under George Patton.  When I asked him about McArthur, he said "McArthur was a p*$$y."  No ambiguity there.

They knew who the enemy was, and they knew their mission - kill as many of the enemy as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure if today's military has such clarity of mission.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:09:45 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.