Author Topic: The Electric-Vehicle Cheating Scandal  (Read 573 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Electric-Vehicle Cheating Scandal
« on: January 18, 2024, 01:49:03 pm »
WSJ by Michael Buschbacher and James Conde 1/16/2024

A government rule makes them look nearly seven times as efficient as they are.

It’s hard to think of a worse environmental scandal in recent years than Volkswagen
’s 2015 diesel-emissions cheating. The German automaker was rightly pursued by regulators, enforcement agencies and class-action lawyers.

The scandal ended up costing Volkswagen an estimated $33 billion in fines and financial settlements—and revealed that diesel-emissions cheating was endemic. In 2020 Daimler
AG made a $1.5 billion settlement over emissions cheating in Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles. (One of us helped secure that settlement.) Last year engine maker Cummins agreed to pay $1.7 billion to settle claims that it skirted diesel-emissions standards.

In all of these cases, regulators punished carmakers that had cut corners and misled the public. But when it comes to electric cars, the government has a cheating scandal of its own. That scandal, grabbing far fewer headlines, is buried deep in the Federal Register—on page 36,987 of volume 65.

When carmakers test gasoline-powered vehicles for compliance with the Transportation Department’s fuel-efficiency rules, they must use real values measured in a laboratory. By contrast, under an Energy Department rule, carmakers can arbitrarily multiply the efficiency of electric cars by 6.67. This means that although a 2022 Tesla
Model Y tests at the equivalent of about 65 miles per gallon in a laboratory (roughly the same as a hybrid), it is counted as having an absurdly high compliance value of 430 mpg. That number has no basis in reality or law.

More: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-electric-car-cheating-scandal-subsidy-rule-efficiency-falsehood-2798b4ab

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Electric-Vehicle Cheating Scandal
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 10:46:40 pm »
"although a 2022 Tesla Model Y tests at the equivalent of about 65 miles per gallon in a laboratory (roughly the same as a hybrid), it is counted as having an absurdly high compliance value of 430 mpg. That number has no basis in reality or law."

Once again:
The greatest hoax in human history.

And... it seems to be working...!

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 10:53:46 pm »
Man Made Climate Change will be the biggest fraud committed against people when all is said and done.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 11:34:26 pm »
"although a 2022 Tesla Model Y tests at the equivalent of about 65 miles per gallon in a laboratory (roughly the same as a hybrid), it is counted as having an absurdly high compliance value of 430 mpg. That number has no basis in reality or law."

Once again:
The greatest hoax in human history.

And... it seems to be working...!
At this latitude, the hoax is working better (for now) than the cars...

Dominos Pizza invested in at least three of the Chevy Volt units for in-house delivery vehicles. The two in town here died. As in would not even charge, died, two years old. Another was supposed to be sent up to replace one of them, from a Montana franchise 40 miles away. It has not shown up yet....two days later.

If that is any measure of reliability, these things are not ready for prime time.

I heard Hertz is dumping 20,000 of their electrics, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 01:39:48 pm »
Electric vehicles are fleecing us out of billions
January 22nd, 2024
When you buy a new internal combustion vehicle, you are also paying for someone else’s electric vehicle.

While the subsidies are egregious enough, it turns out EV manufacturers are fleecing us out of billions, and doing it with government help.

Attorneys Michael Buschbacher and James Conde explain at The Wall Street Journal:

When carmakers test gasoline-powered vehicles for compliance with the Transportation Department’s fuel-efficiency rules, they must use real values measured in a laboratory. By contrast, under an Energy Department rule, carmakers can arbitrarily multiply the efficiency of electric cars by 6.67. This means that although a 2022 Tesla Model Y tests at the equivalent of about 65 miles per gallon in a laboratory (roughly the same as a hybrid), it is counted as having an absurdly high compliance value of 430 mpg. That number has no basis in reality or law.

https://www.cfact.org/2024/01/22/electric-vehicles-are-fleecing-us-out-of-billions/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=electric-vehicles-are-fleecing-us-out-of-billions&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=electric-vehicles-are-fleecing-us-out-of-billions
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 02:33:44 pm »
Electric vehicles are fleecing us out of billions

And this is true whether you ever owned or intend to own one.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien