Author Topic: Transgender Student Bathroom Case Rejected by Supreme Court  (Read 236 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Transgender Student Bathroom Case Rejected by Supreme Court
« on: January 17, 2024, 10:07:29 am »

Transgender Student Bathroom Case Rejected by Supreme Court
Story by Greg Stohr  •
19h

(Bloomberg) -- The US Supreme Court refused to consider whether transgender students have a legal right to use school bathrooms that match their gender identity, sidestepping a clash at the heart of the nation’s culture wars.

The court Tuesday rejected an appeal from an Indiana school district sued by the family of a transgender middle school student who was barred from using the boys’ restroom. The rebuff, which came without comment or published dissent, leaves intact a federal appeals court ruling favoring the student.

At issue was the reach of the 1972 federal civil rights law that bars discrimination in schools on the basis of sex. The law has long been understood to allow for separate male and female bathrooms, but lower courts disagree as to whether schools can insist on classifying students according to the gender they were assigned at birth.

The case centered on a child, known in court papers only as A.C, who was born with female anatomy but has identified as a boy since about the age of eight. A.C. has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria and treated with puberty blockers, and Indiana courts have legally changed his name and the gender marker on his birth certificate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/transgender-student-bathroom-case-rejected-by-supreme-court/ar-AA1n41yN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=dba5fdf27f13425bab6a185c12afccb3&ei=7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson