Poll

You may choose 2 superpowers. What would they be?

Flying
3 (14.3%)
Being invisible
4 (19%)
Seeing through walls
1 (4.8%)
Strength like Superman
1 (4.8%)
Live forever
2 (9.5%)
Reading minds
1 (4.8%)
Communicate with animals
3 (14.3%)
Stoner option (define it)
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: February 16, 2024, 12:03:14 am

Author Topic: What 2 superpowers would you choose  (Read 3405 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
What 2 superpowers would you choose
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:03:14 am »
You're not limited to the above options. Make up your own. But you get only 2. Choose wisely.  :cool:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Hoodat

Re: What 2 superpowers would you choose
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 12:09:33 am »
Stopping time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 12:14:05 am »
Teleport anything anywhere.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 03:32:29 am »

Flying: not only is it more crowded up there than it was when Superman came out, you'd end up dodging missiles a lot. Bird Strikes would really hurt.

Being invisible. Too many years on a motorcycle hearing "But officer, I didn't see him"...

Seeing through walls: My first reaction is okay, window peepers! Too many possibilities for temptation to larceny and other mischief. That said, give me the ability to see through the ground and rock as well, and filter out objects of desired composition and density, and it could be a treasure hunter's dream...(and I might find that other set of car keys!) I'd want to combine it with the ability to do chemical assay at a glance.

Strength like Superman: Might take some getting used to. Things aren't made as well as they used to be, and chances are I'd end up breaking stuff I did not want to.

Live forever: I think The Almighty was wise in giving us some limits here, at least in this mortal coil. Everlasting life as a more spiritual being is one prospect, but this conveyance has yet to hit decade 7 and it just doesn't run like it did when it was newer... And then, there is the problem of watching people make the same stupid mistakes, over and over...

Reading minds: Oh, Hell, no! At least I can turn the gibberish on the TV off. Being able to tell when someone is lying with 100% accuracy, and to what degree, might be handy, though, so something like that would have to be able to be directed, selective, and have a default of "off" unless intentional.

Communicate with animals: Pay attention to your critters and you likely already can-at least as much as they want to listen.

Stoner option (define it)

Teleportation has its attractions, but it would be just my luck someone would rearrange the furniture. Notice most of the fictional options use dedicated spaces for arrivals and departures.

Being able to heat or cool (or both) items at will would have some appeal, but like seeing through walls, has potential for mischief. Being able to change density, increase or decrease it so you could walk through walls, or be as impenetrable as armor plate could be interesting.

The ability to fill out forms, navigate voice menus, and otherwise navigate the bureaucratic (and other) nonsense out there at will would be handy. The ability to just eliminate that garbage would make one Godlike... :laugh:

I'd settle for the ability to fix or disable any device at will, bend space and time, to dispel anger and distribute contentment (thwarting envy, yet not dismiss injustice), and to heal the sick and injured.

Oh heck, that's 4...

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 06:22:32 am »
Stopping time.

No way, didn't you see that episode of the 1980s Twilight Zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1UX7z8YBM

Edit: I didn't realize until now that the actress playing the Mom in this TZ episode also played the Mom in the movie "A Christmas Story".

Edit2: For that matter, the original TZ series episode "A Kind of a Stopwatch" was a different exploration of a similar theme, but you have to pay to watch the episode (it's on Paramount+).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:40:56 am by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 06:25:53 am »
Live Forever and stoner option, be able to go back in time and trace ancestry, and meet them.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 09:13:09 am »
Better Personality/Charm and more Godly Wisdom/Insight would of been nice.

The greatest gift was given freely.

My whim choice from the list would be flying... in my dreams all my life I have enjoyed flying dreams, though it was always a struggle to fly high or far.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:14:32 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 02:47:45 pm »
Stopping time.

@Hoodat

I can give you a wrist watch that I have......

https://youtu.be/Lxf05d_rMYM
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 03:25:14 pm »
And, invisibility and seeing through walls would eventually give me Batman's superpower (being rich), since I'd use them to get information for what would effectively be insider trading without being an insider.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 03:27:54 pm »

Communicate with animals: Pay attention to your critters and you likely already can-at least as much as they want to listen. 

Interesting. At this writing, there's only one person other than me who has chosen this option. I thought almost everyone here on GBR would choose this option, which is why I gave everyone a second option.

In real life, almost everyone I know would kill (figuratively speaking) to be able to converse with their pets, especially when they're starting to present with symptoms indicating a downturn in health. Also, when we find a stray, we'd like some info from that critter so that maybe we could find their owners -- unless their owners were cruel to them, in which case, we'd find them a new home.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 07:44:12 pm »
I am a bit of an oddball.  I prefer to live within the limitations I was born with.  I'd abuse just about any "superpower" I'd take.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 08:19:09 pm »

Interesting. At this writing, there's only one person other than me who has chosen this option. I thought almost everyone here on GBR would choose this option, which is why I gave everyone a second option.

In real life, almost everyone I know would kill (figuratively speaking) to be able to converse with their pets, especially when they're starting to present with symptoms indicating a downturn in health. Also, when we find a stray, we'd like some info from that critter so that maybe we could find their owners -- unless their owners were cruel to them, in which case, we'd find them a new home.

Not sure most cats would have much niceness to share back with their owners... Feed me, feed me, leave me alone, let me outside, and come hither human and do my bidding....

I am a bit of an oddball.  I prefer to live within the limitations I was born with.  I'd abuse just about any "superpower" I'd take.

Deeper answer than a quick first reading leads one to believe. Limitations tend to humble.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 08:26:11 pm »
Not sure most cats would have much niceness to share back with their owners... Feed me, feed me, leave me alone, let me outside, and come hither human and do my bidding....

Which is exactly why I realized decades ago that I'm not a good fit for cat ownership ... or should I say, being owned by a cat. Being owned by a dog fits my personality much better.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 08:27:39 pm »
Which is exactly why I realized decades ago that I'm not a good fit for cat ownership ... or should I say, being owned by a cat. Being owned by a dog fits my personality much better.

That's why I have several cats.  They are too busy bugging each other.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 08:32:43 pm »
Mine is nervous flatulence. Hey. It's a thing...
When the preacher stops for a pregnant pause and there's a raucous fart, well... that'll be me.
Haven't applied it to whirled peas yet  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 09:23:42 pm »
Mine is nervous flatulence. Hey. It's a thing...
When the preacher stops for a pregnant pause and there's a raucous fart, well... that'll be me.
Haven't applied it to whirled peas yet  :shrug:
:silly:

I prefer SBDs....
'Fart bombing' an aisle in Walmart...makes the trip worthwhile. 
Only problem is, I'm old enough to not trust a fart...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 09:50:29 pm »
Stoner option so I don't have to be fully aware of what is happening to our Republic and continue to slowly watch it's demise.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 09:53:15 pm »
:silly:

I prefer SBDs....
'Fart bombing' an aisle in Walmart...makes the trip worthwhile. 
Only problem is, I'm old enough to not trust a fart...

Me too... me too... But then the SBD turns into a squeaker.... which turns into giggle farts... And we all know what happens next.  **nononono*

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 09:58:45 pm »
I think maybe I'd like the super power of not smelling anything when I happen to be hanging out with @roamer_1 and @Smokin Joe     :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 10:00:08 pm »
I think maybe I'd like the super power of not smelling anything when I happen to be hanging out with @roamer_1 and @Smokin Joe     :laugh:

My mother and both sisters have gone that route. But I think that was more my Dad's fault than mine...

Offline berdie

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 10:48:02 pm »

I have always wanted to speak to the strays that have adopted me. They could tell me the stories of their lives and how they became homeless.

For the stoner option I'm gonna shoot high...the power to heal with a wave of my hand.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 10:54:57 pm »
India and Russia.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2024, 11:49:49 pm »
India and Russia.

:silly:  I knew that one would show up!! :silly:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 06:06:02 pm »
Not to worry...like H2S, your sense of smell will not survive any but the lowest concentrations. :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 02:57:24 am »

@Hoodat

I can give you a wrist watch that I have......

That was cool, @Gefn .  Thanks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-