Author Topic: Fears grow that Trump will use the military in ‘dictatorial ways’ if he returns to the White House  (Read 296 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fears grow that Trump will use the military in ‘dictatorial ways’ if he returns to the White House

Among those being mentioned for Trump’s defense secretary are Christopher Miller, who served temporarily during his administration, Michael Flynn and Mike Pompeo.

Jan. 14, 2024, 7:00 AM EST
By Peter Nicholas, Katherine Doyle, Megan Lebowitz and Courtney Kube
WASHINGTON — Donald Trump is sparking fears among those who understand the inner workings of the Pentagon that he would convert the nonpartisan U.S. military into the muscular arm of his political agenda as he makes comments about dictatorship and devalues the checks and balances that underpin the nation’s two-century-old democracy.

A circle of appointees independent of Trump’s political operation steered him away from ideas that would have pushed the limits of presidential power in his last term, according to books they’ve written and testimony given to Congress. Most were gone by the end. In a new term, many former officials worry that Trump would instead surround himself with loyalists unwilling to say no.

Trump has raised fresh questions about his intentions if he regains power by putting forward a legal theory that a president would be free to do nearly anything with impunity — including assassinate political rivals — so long as Congress can’t muster the votes to impeach him and throw him out of office.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/trump-military-fears-rcna129159
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'm guessing those "fears" are the creation of liberal news journalists so they have something controversial to write about. 00drama
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LMAO

Since George W. Bush, at least, the opposition always talks about dictatorship

Turning United States into Fascist Italy is not easy.

I have no doubt that his supporters would want him to go around the constitution and take powers that he’s not allowed. But you would have to have the whole political structure in this country to agree to go along with him, and that will not happen.

Benito Mussolini was extremely popular with his public until the end. Donald Trump is very unpopular with the general public.

Trump’s ignorance of the workings of government is going to cost him. But that doesn’t mean he’s going to turn into a dictator.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

From the article….

Trump has raised fresh questions about his intentions if he regains power by putting forward a legal theory that a president would be free to do nearly anything with impunity — including assassinate political rivals — so long as Congress can’t muster the votes to impeach him and throw him out of office.

If they mean character assassination of people that don’t agree with him, that is probably true

But I highly doubt we’ll see a “night of the long knives..part 2” should he be re-elected

@Maj. Bill Martin
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
From the article….

If they mean character assassination of people that don’t agree with him, that is probably true

But I highly doubt we’ll see a “night of the long knives..part 2” should he be re-elected

@Maj. Bill Martin

I agree.

But I see that and similar statements as evidence that he neither understands nor cares about the Constitution period, and that is a real problem.