Author Topic: Biden’s Border Crisis: Don’t Get Used to the “New Normal,” and Don’t Get Fooled  (Read 149 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden’s Border Crisis: Don’t Get Used to the “New Normal,” and Don’t Get Fooled
January 11, 2024

Incrementalism is the phenomenon whereby things expand gradually over time without attracting much notice, gain acceptance, and reach new levels – the imperceptible movement of the slow hand on the clock. Rising product prices or… increases in illegal crossings and overall lawlessness are prime examples. However, some people do notice – especially when the increases occur rapidly over a short period of time. Thus, marketers and public officials often employ shifty techniques to get us used to the “new normal.”

One devious tactic to placate those showing concern about nonstop increases is inspired by mountain climbers who constantly move up but periodically come back down to acclimate to new elevations and oxygen. Then, once a new plateau has been established, they continue their planned ascension.

Consider this headline from 2004: “AAA says average per gallon prices at $1.73 per gallon.” 18 years later in 2022, AAA reported the average price was $4.33. Today, there’s an apparent national sigh of relief because prices are averaging “only” $3.25 per gallon which, even adjusted for inflation, is considerably more than we were paying in 2004. A “new normal” benchmark has been established…from which, of course, further increases will occur with less consumer resistance.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2024/01/11/bidens-border-crisis-dont-get-used-new-normal-and-dont-get-fooled
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson