Author Topic: Trump’s next trial: E. Jean Carroll seeks $10M in defamation case  (Read 854 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump’s next trial: E. Jean Carroll seeks $10M in defamation case
by Zach Schonfeld - 01/16/24 8:00 AM ET

Fresh off his runaway win in the nation’s first 2024 presidential nominating contest, the next phase of former President Trump’s courtroom chronicles will begin Tuesday as a jury convenes to determine how much Trump must pay for defaming a longtime advice columnist.

Last year, a jury concluded Trump sexually abused the columnist, E. Jean Carroll, in the mid-1990s at a New York City department store and later defamed her, awarding Carroll $5 million. Trump vehemently denies her story.

Now, Carroll is taking Trump to civil trial again. This time, she seeks at least $10 million in damages for Trump’s denials when the former “Elle” columnist first came forward publicly with her claims in 2019.

Trump has already been found liable in the case, so the trial, expected to last upwards of one week, will only be held to determine how much Trump must pay.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4403915-trumps-trial-e-jean-carroll-10m-in-defamation-case/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Trump’s next trial: E. Jean Carroll seeks $10M in defamation case
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 11:15:27 pm »
This woman is a moron. The judge may be one, as well.

Inner City Press
@innercitypress

Habba: You said you receive death threats daily - but you deleted then until trial? Explain what you mean.
Judge Kaplan: Explain what she means by what?
Habba: When did you stop deleting death threats?
Carroll: I had not received how many there were.
Habba: Did you receive a subpoena?
Carroll: Yes.
Habba: Did you know you had a discovery obligation?
Carroll: They were just replies, slime...
Habba: What about messages in your inbox, did you delete them?
Carroll: No.
Habba: So you have the death threats?
Carroll: I deleted them.

Habba: So you-
Carroll's lawyer: Asked and answered.
Habba: This is a very important question
Carroll's lawyer: I object to the commentary too
Carroll: I may have deleted some emails too, I'm not sure
Habba: Did you give them to your lawyers?
Carroll: No.
Habba: Why not?
Carroll: I don't want to upset them
Habba: Ms. Carroll, are you aware it is illegal to delete evidence?
Carroll's lawyer: Objection
Habba: I move for a mistrial, evidence has been deleted
Judge Kaplan: Denied and the jury will disregard everything Ms. Habba just said

More from today's proceedings:

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1747635160399454438
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 11:45:30 pm »
But what will the greaseball demonstrably biased judge do about it?
When a party to a lawsuit destroys evidence, even negligently, we can presume the evidence was bad for her. And intentional destruction of evidence is a very serious offense.

https://twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1747765978631426417

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 06:40:41 pm »
@bennyjohnson
Trump accuser E. Jean Carroll is financially backed by Democrat Mega Donor Reid Hoffman.
You know who else is backed by Reid Hoffman?
Nikki Haley.
9:21 PM · Jan 18, 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 07:20:29 pm »
This woman is a moron.

Trump hires only the best.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 07:27:53 pm »
This woman is a moron. The judge may be one, as well.

More from today's proceedings:

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1747635160399454438

I would think that evidence of death threats on her email would help her case that it would motivate her to keep them. But that’s just me.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 07:36:17 pm »
Trump hires only the best.
He hired her? I'm talking about the plaintiff.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 11:32:03 pm »
He hired her? I'm talking about the plaintiff.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Trump's attorney.  She is also a moron.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 11:54:58 pm »
Oh, I thought you were talking about Trump's attorney.  She is also a moron.
Also possible.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 12:24:21 am »
Alina Habba Scolded on 'Evidence 101' During Court Showdown

Kate Plummer  |  Jan 19, 2024 at 4:39 AM EST

lina Habba, the lawyer representing Donald Trump in his E. Jean Carroll damages trial, was scolded by the judge during a court session on Thursday.

Habba, who previously worked in real estate law before becoming part of Trump's legal team, is representing the Republican in the second defamation trial brought against him by Carroll. In May 2023, the journalist was awarded $5 million in damages after a jury found Trump liable for sexually abusing and defaming the former Elle columnist. The former president has denied sexually assaulting Carroll at the Bergdorf Goodman department store in New York in the 1990s.

Carroll's lawyers are seeking another $10 million in compensatory damages and "substantially more" after the former president continued to deny the accusations that he assaulted her, claiming he had no idea who she is and that Carroll was not his "type." In May, Trump called Carroll's account "fake" and labeled her a "whack job" during a CNN town hall broadcast. In early September, Judge Lewis Kaplan ruled that Trump's comments against Carroll were defamatory.

Commentators have criticized Habba for her court performance since the trial started, accusing her of making mistakes.  .  .

https://www.newsweek.com/alina-habba-donald-trump-trial-lawyer-evidence-1862119

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 12:27:02 am »
Donald Trump Complains His Lawyer Gave Him 'Not Good Advice'

James Bickerton  |  Dec 08, 2023  |  5:45 AM EST

Donald Trump hit out at one of his own lawyers over the advice he says he received in the civil sexual assault case brought against him by writer E. Jean Carroll, in a post on his Truth Social website on Thursday.

In May, a New York jury found the former president liable for sexually abusing Carroll in the Bergdorf Goodman department store during the mid-1990s and then defaming her character once the accusation became public. Trump, who continues to strongly deny the claims against him, was ordered to pay $5 million in compensation and punitive damages.

Trump did not appear before the New York court in person despite at one point telling journalists he "probably" would attend. This was used against the former president by Carroll's lawyer Mike Ferrara  .  .  .

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-complains-lawyer-gave-not-good-advice-1850674

Yet this same lawyer continues to represent him.  She already cost him $5 million.  Maybe another $10 million?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 12:28:31 am »
Alina Habba's 5 Worst Horror Show Moments in Court

Ewan Palmer    Jan 18, 2024  |  8:49 AM EST

Donald Trump's lawyer Alina Habba has been criticized for her performance in court on Wednesday during the defamation civil trial proceedings involving the former president and E. Jean Carroll.

Habba, who previously worked in real estate law before becoming part of Trump's legal team, was repeatedly condemned by the judge overseeing the case between Trump and the former Elle columnist for failing to follow basic judicial procedures.

At one point, Habba was sternly told by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan to "sit down" as the pair argued in the court. She was also scolded for trying to introduce evidence that could not be overseen by the judge, or not properly submitted to the court.  .  .

https://www.newsweek.com/alina-habba-court-trump-civil-trial-ejean-carroll-1861796

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 12:37:48 am »
Where is he getting these lawyers...?
Support the USO