Author Topic: Rice University mocked for ‘afrochemistry’ course on ‘inequities in chemistry and chemical education  (Read 384 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Rice University mocked for ‘afrochemistry’ course on ‘inequities in chemistry and chemical education’
Story by Brian Flood  •
15h

Rice University has been mocked in recent days for offering a course titled, "Afrochemistry: The Study of Black-Life Matter," that addresses "inequities in chemistry and chemical education."

The course, which is posted on the Rice University’s spring 2024 course schedule, is for undergraduate students and does include a final exam. Since being publicized on social media, critics have slammed the class for combining diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives with chemistry.

"Students will apply chemical tools and analysis to understand Black life in the U.S. and students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry. Diverse historical and contemporary scientists, intellectuals, and chemical discoveries will inform personal reflections and proposals for addressing inequities in chemistry and chemical education," the university wrote to describe the class.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rice-university-mocked-for-afrochemistry-course-on-inequities-in-chemistry-and-chemical-education/ar-AA1n0RCE?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=545a7d2f78b2476da3c35cc848085c13&ei=45
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If chemistry is so racist, they should drop the curriculum! *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry.
:pop41:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Well, I learned in my afrophysics class that Kamala isn't really black. She is so dense light bends around her.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry.

Cookin'

Cuttin'

Makin' rocks...

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis