Author Topic: Four Iranian Kurds at Grave Risk of Arbitrary Execution  (Read 197 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Four Iranian Kurds at Grave Risk of Arbitrary Execution
« on: January 15, 2024, 04:48:13 pm »
Four Iranian Kurds at Grave Risk of Arbitrary Execution
JANUARY 12, 2024

Amnesty International is urging Iranian authorities to immediately halt any plans to execute four members of Iran’s Kurdish Sunni minority who have been sentenced to death following a “grossly unfair” trial marred by allegations of torture and other ill-treatment.

The London-based human rights group said on January 12 that the three men should have their convictions and sentences quashed, and be granted them fair retrials, “without recourse to the death penalty and excluding coerced “confessions.”

Anwar Khezri, Farhad Salimi, Kamran Sheikheh and Khosrow Basharat are at grave risk of execution in Karaj’s Ghezelhesar prison, near Tehran, amid a spike in executions in the country.

Between November and January, three other Iranian Kurdish men – Ghasem Abesteh, Ayoub Karimi and Davoud Abdollahi – who had been sentenced to death in the same case were arbitrarily executed.

The seven men were arrested in December 2009 and January 2010 in West Azerbaijan province and accused of membership in “Salafist groups” – a charge they denied.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;board=70.0
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson