Author Topic: Maine Starts Paying Rent for Illegal Immigrants in Midcoast Town  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Maine Starts Paying Rent for Illegal Immigrants in Midcoast Town
Story by Caroline Downey  •
18h

As the border crisis continues to disrupt states across the nation, Maine has started paying rent for illegal immigrants in the midcoast town of Brunswick.

Maine allocated nearly $3.5 million to provide apartments in five new buildings in Brunswick, about half an hour north of Portland, to 60 illegal immigrant families. All of the buildings will be available for occupancy by February, according to a December 2023 report to the state’s Joint Select Committee on Housing.

The construction was done through the Emergency Housing Relief Fund, which would also guarantee “rent payments for up to two years while households navigate the federal work authorization process and secure employment.” Included in the large sum is beds and service coordination for the illegal immigrants.

Maine Immigrant and Refugee Services (MEIRS) is also applying $100,000 from the fund to help illegal immigrants in Brunswick, South Portland, and Lewiston with filing their asylum and work permit applications. The money will assist illegal immigrant family members to “work together to support each other’s goals and achieve long-term stability with the help of a bridging case manager/coach,” the report said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/maine-starts-paying-rent-for-illegal-immigrants-in-midcoast-town/ar-AA1mXbiS?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=98fd7c448db246ca99847b44c14907b2&ei=14
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson