Author Topic: Bay Area paint giant Kelly-Moore shuts down, closes every store  (Read 266 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bay Area paint giant Kelly-Moore shuts down, closes every store
« on: January 14, 2024, 06:39:33 pm »
Bay Area paint giant Kelly-Moore shuts down, closes every store
By Katie Dowd
Jan 14, 2024

After 78 years in business, Bay Area paint giant Kelly-Moore announced it is shutting down and closing every store nationwide. In a statement, the company said Chapter 11 bankruptcy was not a viable option, and that after fulfilling existing orders, Kelly-Moore will cease operations permanently.

"I'm extremely disappointed and saddened by this outcome, as the entire Kelly-Moore team made incredible efforts to continue innovating and serving the unique needs of professional painting contractors,” CEO Charles Gassenheimer wrote in a statement. “... Sadly, no matter how great the Kelly-Moore team, products and reputation for service, we simply couldn’t overcome the massive legal and financial burdens that have been weighing on the Company for many years."

Kelly-Moore’s current ownership group, Pleuger Chemicals, bought the brand in 2022. But with the acquisition came heavy legal debts incurred over three decades of court battles over asbestos use in its cement and texture products. Although asbestos was phased out by 1981, the company claims, “ever-continuing case filings” have cost Kelly-Moore $600 million in settlements.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/bay-area-paint-giant-kelly-moore-shuts-down-18607798.php
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Bay Area paint giant Kelly-Moore shuts down, closes every store
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 06:46:28 pm »
Dang...  that went under the radar for me.  I can remember when they were huge in the paint business.

Reading up it appears that they have been under recievership since '22.  And in that wild world of speculative business, if you don't turn it around, you get sold off like parts off a junker at the junk yard. 

RIP Kelly-Moore
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.