Author Topic: Small Talk: You're hopping on the WWW for the first time...  (Read 787 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Small Talk: You're hopping on the WWW for the first time...
« on: January 14, 2024, 01:59:29 am »
Tell us about your experience when you ventured into the interwebs.  :pop41:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Re: Small Talk: You're hopping on the WWW for the first time...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 10:46:03 am »
What about "pre-WWW/Interwebs"...local dial-up BBS's, Compuserve, Prodigy, etc.. Send me email at "75106,3562@Compuserve.com"!!  :pondering:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 09:58:40 pm »
Tell us about your experience when you ventured into the interwebs.  :pop41:
Christmas 2001. My parents bought the family a woefully outdated HP computer with a 4 GB hard drive and Windows 95, and a $5.95/month dial-up Internet plan.

Most of my early Web surfing came from weather Web sites (the local National Weather Service office in particular) and Netscape. It wasn't until my dad started getting recommendations from The Rush Limbaugh Show that I started exploring the conservative Internet more.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 10:21:36 pm »
What about "pre-WWW/Interwebs"...local dial-up BBS's, Compuserve, Prodigy, etc.. Send me email at "75106,3562@Compuserve.com"!!  :pondering:

I recall 'prodigy'.  I also remember us having a little bit of money and decided to dabble a bit in the stock market.  We asked a young kid at a newly formed tech kind of store, what company he thought we should invest in.  He recommended Microsoft!  Microsoft we asked ourselves. We had never heard of them.  Oh, if only we had listened!

Anyways, my first association with computers was when there wasn't Windows and only DOS programs. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 10:24:09 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 11:00:42 pm »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 04:14:46 am »
I was caring for a dying family member when I got online. It allowed me to interact with others in spite of the fact that I was tethered to the house. At first I accessed through WebTV. I didn't know exactly what I was getting into and wasn't prepared to spend a lot of $ until I committed to it. WebTV was clunky and cumbersome, but I got a sense of the internet using that technology.

Then I bought a desktop and accessed through dial-up. Being online and having the ability to point and click and to type via a keyboard again was wonderful.

My first interactive encounter with others was on another conservative forum. I got ZOTTED several years later when I refused to drink the Trump kool-aid, but for many years I had great fun over there. There was even a chatroom associated with that site or at least with some of the early members. We had a lot of silly fun as well as serious discussions.

I used to post at HGTV where liberals and conservatives would butt heads on a regular basis. HGTV got tired of us and shut down those boards. There were several offshoots from those HGTV boards, and I still post at one of them. Those sicko leftists followed us all over the internet, but we were finally able to shake them after a couple of years. I had a little board for a small group of very smart women for a few years. It was our attempt to get away from the leftists. A code word was needed, so they were unable to get past me. Apparently it worked.  :yowsa: