Author Topic: Here are all the US military units receiving the Presidential Unit Citation for the Kabul evacuation  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Here are all the US military units receiving the Presidential Unit Citation for the Kabul evacuation
The Presidential Unit Citation is the US military’s highest unit award.

BY JEFF SCHOGOL | PUBLISHED SEP 1, 2023 1:00 PM EDT

More than 30 Army and Marine Corps units will receive the Presidential Unit Citation for evacuating more than 124,000 civilians from Kabul in August 2021, according to a full list of recipient units released by the Pentagon.

The awards will go to the units that made up the ad hoc task force hastily assembled at Hamid Karzai International Airport in August 2021 as thousands of desperate Afghans surrounded the airfield hoping to find a flight out of the country. Those US units included National Guardsmen from Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Washington as well as active duty units from the 82nd Airborne Division and 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Together those units kept the airport open to round-the-clock evacuation flights during Operation Allies Refuge, the largest non-combatant evacuation operation in American history.

The Presidential Unit Citation is the highest distinction that a unit can receive and is nearly always awarded for combat.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-marine-corps-presidential-unit-citation-afghanistan-evacuation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I think they have given more medals for that debacle than the number of people evacuated, not that it cheapens the value of them. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson