Author Topic: Foods you never knew were invented by the military  (Read 274 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Foods you never knew were invented by the military
« on: January 12, 2024, 05:52:34 pm »
Foods you never knew were invented by the military
By
Bethaney Phillips
Jan 12, 2024

SUMMARY
The U.S. military has given us so much more than just our freedom. We also have it to thank for these fine foods.

Grocery shopping these days comes with an entire slew of items that were first made possible by Uncle Sam. Decades after their invention, however, those foods have stuck around for the masses to enjoy. Take a look at these popular food items that you never knew were first introduced by the U.S. Government.

Yes, Cheetos, as in the stain-your-hands orange crunchers that you either love or hate. The cheesy concoction has a much richer history than most realize. The powder that makes Cheetos possible was actually invented by the U.S. military during World War I. Looking for a way to preserve cheese, a dehydrated cheese “dust” was made. Soon after, it was used on foods of all kinds for the military, including noodles, sandwiches, and main dishes. The powder then made its way to Frito Lay after the end of World War II, when they began putting it on puffed, crunchy corn, thus bringing the world the Cheetos we all know and enjoy.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-life/foods-you-never-knew-were-invented-by-the-military/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Foods you never knew were invented by the military
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 05:56:10 pm »
They neglected three favorites from my ship on the list:  Gross Beast, Mystery Meat, and Ranger Burgers.  We once had a S. Koren sailor with us for about 2 weeks out to sea and he absolutely could not get enough of those fine Ranger Burgers.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 09:12:11 pm »
They neglected three favorites from my ship on the list:  Gross Beast, Mystery Meat, and Ranger Burgers.  We once had a S. Koren sailor with us for about 2 weeks out to sea and he absolutely could not get enough of those fine Ranger Burgers.

Let's not forget SOS. To this day one of my favorite comfort foods.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 12:48:41 pm »
I DID forget that find delicacy, didn't I, though we knew it mainly as foreskins on a raft?! :silly:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 12:49:54 pm by rangerrebew »
Thomas Jefferson