Author Topic: US applications for jobless benefits fall to lowest level in 3 months  (Read 268 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US applications for jobless benefits fall to lowest level in 3 months

The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits inched down to its lowest level in nearly three months last week as the U.S. labor market continues to flex its muscle in spite of elevated interest rates
ByMATT OTT AP business writer
January 11, 2024, 7:41 AM

The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits inched down to its lowest level in nearly three months last week as the U.S. labor market continues to flex its muscle in spite of elevated interest rates.

Jobless claim applications fell to 202,000 for the week ending Jan. 6, down by 1,000 from the previous week, the Labor Department reported Thursday. The four-week average of claims, which evens out some of the week-to-week volatility, ticked down by 250 to 207,750.

Weekly unemployment claims are a proxy for layoffs. They have remained at extraordinarily low levels in the face of high interest rates and elevated inflation.

In an effort to stomp out the four-decade high inflation that took hold after an unusually strong economic rebound from the COVID-19 recession of 2020, the Federal Reserve raised its benchmark rate 11 times since March of 2022.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/us-applications-jobless-benefits-fall-lowest-level-3-106289558
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: US applications for jobless benefits fall to lowest level in 3 months
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 02:36:26 pm »
More people ran out of benefits they can apply for?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 02:37:27 pm »
You have to have had a job to file for those bennies.  On the other hand, applications for welfare bennies have sky rocketed for those who refuse to work.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 07:17:45 pm »
More people ran out of benefits they can apply for?
That's my read on it, next we will see a small increase in the jobs number as many of those who ran out of benefits will go back to work just long enough to requalify and then back on the dole...just like the democrats have taught them.