Author Topic: DEI is dead. Long live D, E, and I  (Read 236 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DEI is dead. Long live D, E, and I
« on: January 12, 2024, 11:21:58 am »

DEI is dead. Long live D, E, and I
Story by Peter Vanham  •
17h

If 2023 heralded the “death of ESG,” 2024 is set to do the same for DEI.

That is one conclusion of the saga that unfolded at Harvard involving activist investor Bill Ackman and then-Harvard president Claudine Gay. Many are citing it as one example of how anti-DEI crusaders have gotten the upper hand in corporate, political, and academic circles. DEI offices and professionals are increasingly paying the price—but they shouldn't let it happen.

We were among those who called the death of “ESG” last year, pointing out that the acronym had become toxic and that it was better to focus on its individual components rather than its politically loaded shorthand. That view is now mainstream, exhibited by an essay in the Wall Street Journal this week calling ESG a “dirty word.” It suggested executives use alternatives like “responsible business.”

But at least the ESG backlash was more about semantics than substance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/dei-is-dead-long-live-d-e-and-i/ar-AA1mP1D5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5b7ae9e01a7a4e1b8ed3a5ec8413be17&ei=24
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson