Author Topic: Speaker Johnson Folds Like A Cheap Suit To Democrats’ Spending Increases  (Read 489 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Speaker Johnson's 'Deal' With Democrats Will Increase Spending
Christopher Jacobs

With “friends” like Mike Johnson, do conservatives really need enemies?

That question, harsh as it sounds, should echo in the minds of individuals and groups who want to restrain Washington’s inflation-causing spending. The agreement House Speaker Johnson cut with Democrats over the weekend would actually raise spending compared to what would happen under the status quo. That additional spending binge might constitute the kind of change Democrats believe in, but it shouldn’t persuade fellow Republicans to sign off on this ill-conceived plan.

Debt Deal’s Spending Caps

Almost eight months ago, I wrote about how the debt limit agreement then-Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., negotiated with Democrats virtually guaranteed another massive omnibus spending bill. As part of that argument, I noted that the debt limit deal contained provisions triggering automatic changes in spending levels should Congress not pass all 12 of its annual appropriations measures.

Back in May, those changes meant that “spending on defense programs — which Republicans generally support — will decrease, while spending on non-defense programs will actually increase when compared to the underlying spending targets laid out in the debt limit bill” (emphasis original). I argued in May that Republican “defense hawks” would push for an omnibus to avoid those automatic cuts, and Democrats would likewise have leverage to demand a bloated omnibus spending bill, because doing nothing would otherwise result in two outcomes they largely support — lower defense spending and higher non-defense spending.

But the dynamic changed substantially in the months since, in a way that gives Republicans additional leverage. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) reestimated the spending caps due to budgetary “anomalies” and other technical changes. (Wonky details are available in this article.)

The end result of the CBO reestimate? If the debt deal’s spending caps kick in, non-defense spending would decrease significantly, while defense spending would get held largely flat. In other words, conservatives have significant leverage to demand spending concessions from Democrats, because the status quo under current law would result in an outcome most conservatives would support.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2024/01/10/speaker-johnson-folds-like-a-cheap-suit-allowing-democrats-to-increase-spending/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Why is he being singled out?

We have no shortages of Republicans that are willing to adopt Democrats position on spending
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Why is he being singled out?

We have no shortages of Republicans that are willing to adopt Democrats position on spending

Exactly.

Apparently, a whole lot of conservatives are under the delusion that the entire caucus will follow wherever the Speaker leads.  You'd think what happened to McCarthy would have disabused them of that notion, but no.

Matt "Moron" Rosendale and his ilk never grasped the reality that the slim GOP majority gave conservatives leverage only with respect to internal caucus issues like election of leadership.  But with respect to actual legislation, the moderates hold most of the power, and the conservatives have little to none.

Johnson presumably has open communications with all the different factions within the House GOP caucus.  The moment even a handful of moderates say they aren't willing to support a particular conservative position, that's it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:32:14 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The House can write its own budget/spending bill, pass it, and send it on to the Senate.

Senate negotiators agreed to the spending numbers.  The House has yet to vote on it.  The House doesn't have to be the Globalist RINO Senate's hired help.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The House can write its own budget/spending bill, pass it, and send it on to the Senate.

Senate negotiators agreed to the spending numbers.  The House has yet to vote on it.  The House doesn't have to be the Globalist RINO Senate's hired help.
You mean, like, actually do some work?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Exactly.

Apparently, a whole lot of conservatives are under the delusion that the entire caucus will follow wherever the Speaker leads.  You'd think what happened to McCarthy would have disabused them of that notion, but no.

Matt "Moron" Rosendale and his ilk never grasped the reality that the slim GOP majority gave conservatives leverage only with respect to internal caucus issues like election of leadership.  But with respect to actual legislation, the moderates hold most of the power, and the conservatives have little to none.

Johnson presumably has open communications with all the different factions within the House GOP caucus.  The moment even a handful of moderates say they aren't willing to support a particular conservative position, that's it.

Let's not forget his earlier rhetoric that he'd be a fiscal conservative as Speaker.  My message to him.,,,  If you can't  deliver the goods, don't pretend to be.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Let's not forget his earlier rhetoric that he'd be a fiscal conservative as Speaker.  My message to him.,,,  If you can't  deliver the goods, don't pretend to be.

He may well be a fiscal conservative personally, but he can't control how other representatives choose to vote.  If anyone believed that he could, and disregarded the the views of House moderates and/or the Senate, that's on them.

Offline berdie

He may well be a fiscal conservative personally, but he can't control how other representatives choose to vote.  If anyone believed that he could, and disregarded the the views of House moderates and/or the Senate, that's on them.

That's the bottom line. I still wonder how they arm twisted him into being in this career ending position. But it's happened before, I guess. Paul Ryan comes to mind.