Author Topic: UF faculty banned from recruiting Chinese, Iranian students under new Florida law  (Read 5449 times)

Online mountaineer

UF faculty banned from recruiting Chinese, Iranian students under new Florida law
Law blocks state universities from making offers to students from seven ‘countries of concern’
By Zoey Thomas
January 8, 2024 | 8:00am EST
Alligator.org
... The Florida law bans “partnerships,” including recruitment programs, between state universities and any non-U.S. citizen living in a foreign country of concern — including China, Iran, Venezuela, Russia, Cuba, Syria and North Korea. It was passed in May and went into effect Dec. 1.

The UF dean’s office and upper administration has interpreted the law to mean faculty cannot offer any assistantship or fellowship to students in these countries for the 2024-2025 academic year, according to an email sent to physics faculty by department chair Steve Hagen.

Many students and faculty members have unanswered questions about the law, with upper administration still trying to decide how to implement its provisions.  ...

Chinese students in Florida are growing accustomed to anti-Chinese legislation. In May, a law restricting Chinese people from owning property in Florida was met with widespread controversy.

The crackdown on Chinese graduate student recruitment didn’t come as a surprise to Xinpei “Ryan” Yue. But the fifth-year UF Scripps Institute graduate student doesn’t think Chinese research students will be much affected by the new law blocking them from Florida public universities, he said. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
They hate this law because  it is/was a cash cow for FL universities. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Who says there is never any good news?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That danged DeSantis boy, always causing trouble, eh?  :pondering: Is this another one of the great orange ones ideas that he stole  :silly: :silly:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

They left out the nation most responsible for 9/11 and the spread of radical Sunni Islam - Saudi Arabia.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.