Author Topic: Trump planning to deliver closing argument in civil fraud trial: Reports  (Read 1261 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump planning to deliver closing argument in civil fraud trial: Reports
by Ella Lee - 01/10/24 9:20 AM ET
Former President Trump intends to deliver his own closing argument this week in the sprawling New York fraud trial threatening his business empire, according to multiple reports.

Trump, the Trump Organization and several top executives — including his adult sons — are accused by New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) of falsely altering the value of the business’s assets on key financial statements to receive tax and insurance benefits.

The former president himself plans to issue a final summation in his defense Thursday, as the trial comes to a close, ABC News and The Associated Press reported. Judge Arthur Engoron, who is overseeing the bench trial and will ultimately decide the verdict, approved the plan, according to a source who spoke with the AP.

The Hill requested comment from Trump’s lawyers and campaign.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4399823-trump-deliver-closing-argument-in-civil-fraud-trial/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Deliver himself?

He can't be that stupid, given his level of "foot in mouth" disease.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

Time to put on a show for his fans.  Play the martyr.  Lord knows the judge will show no mercy after the abuse he endured. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Time to put on a show for his fans.  Play the martyr.  Lord knows the judge will show no mercy after the abuse he endured.

That or say something incredibly incriminating under oath.

Just look at his idiotic comments of just the past few weeks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 03:02:27 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

His lawyers better talk him out of this....
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Trump gotta be Trump! ... I get it. But, I cannot envision a scenario where this does not wind up badly.
This is a serious thing. He is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to experienced paid professionals to do this.
Oh well ... another page in the Trump comic book, I guess? I don't know what is going on.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
His lawyers better talk him out of this....

Agree 100%.  Can see him going off script, and creating his own self inflicted sh__ storm

Online corbe

Wouldn't that require the knowledge of how to complete a sentence?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Judge blocks Trump from making his own closing statement in NYC civil fraud trial
By Social Links for Priscilla DeGregory and
Social Links for Ben Kochman
Published Jan. 10, 2024
Updated Jan. 10, 2024, 1:39 p.m. ET

Donald Trump won’t deliver his own closing statement at his New York civil fraud trial after all — after the judge said he needed to stick to “relevant, material facts.”

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron emailed Trump attorney Christopher Kise Wednesday saying he was assuming the 77year-old former president wouldn’t agree to the “lawful limits” and “therefore, he will not be speaking in court tomorrow.”

Kise first notified the judge in a January 4 email that after the lawyers give their arguments in the $370 million on Thursday, “President Trump plans to present argument at closing as well,” court records show. 

Andrew Amer, a lawyer with the New York Attorney General’s Office, which is prosecuting the case, opposed allowing Trump the chance to speak, warning that he  “is prone to giving irrelevant speeches, lacks self-control, is evasive in responding to questions and has repeatedly violated court order for which he has been sanctioned.”

But Engoron said he would allow the unusual move — only if Trump agreed “to limit his subject to what is permissible in a counsel’s closing argument, that is, commentary on the relevant, material facts that are in evidence, and application of the relevant law to those facts.”

more
https://nypost.com/2024/01/10/news/judge-rescinds-permission-for-former-trump-to-give-his-own-closing-argument-at-civil-fraud-trial/
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron emailed Trump attorney Christopher Kise Wednesday saying he was assuming the 77year-old former president wouldn’t agree to the “lawful limits” and “therefore, he will not be speaking in court tomorrow.”
As ill-conceived as Trump's plan to deliver his "closing argument" may have been, this judge continues to demonstrate his clear bias.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Trump gotta be Trump! ... I get it. But, I cannot envision a scenario where this does not wind up badly.
This is a serious thing. He is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to experienced paid professionals to do this.
Oh well ... another page in the Trump comic book, I guess? I don't know what is going on.
Trump is paying, or are all the Trump suckers who think they are donating to his presidential campaign paying?

Online libertybele

As ill-conceived as Trump's plan to deliver his "closing argument" may have been, this judge continues to demonstrate his clear bias.

Definite bias and I don't think this is going to end well for Trump.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

Absolutely biased. But the judge may have saved Trump from himself.

Online libertybele

Absolutely biased. But the judge may have saved Trump from himself.

You're probably right @berdie

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online cato potatoe

Well as it turns out, Donny from Queens just couldn't help himself, and delivered one of his rants this afternoon.  It's safe to assume his losing streak will remain in tact. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@mountaineer

This is so obvious you almost have to believe that Trump and his legal team put this "sucker bait"  out there in the hope the judge would "bite" in order to set the stage for an appeal if convicted.

And it looks like that is what happened.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

@mountaineer

This is so obvious you almost have to believe that Trump and his legal team put this "sucker bait"  out there in the hope the judge would "bite" in order to set the stage for an appeal if convicted.

And it looks like that is what happened.
Yeah that's what it was, because of course there was never any plan to appeal if convicted prior to this "sucker bait". Face it Trump is/has been/always be a reality show star mindset who has proven repeatedly that he just can't keep quiet when it's in his own best interest. Do I believe that the left has persecuted and used lawfare against him? Yes I do, but he continually aids and abets them with his inability to do the smart thing and just keep his mouth shut.

Online libertybele

Yeah that's what it was, because of course there was never any plan to appeal if convicted prior to this "sucker bait". Face it Trump is/has been/always be a reality show star mindset who has proven repeatedly that he just can't keep quiet when it's in his own best interest. Do I believe that the left has persecuted and used lawfare against him? Yes I do, but he continually aids and abets them with his inability to do the smart thing and just keep his mouth shut.

You are absolutely correct, Trump doesn't know when to keep his darn mouth shut, even when it's in his best interest.

Online roamer_1

He had the right to remain silent... but he didn't have the ability.

Online mountaineer

:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

It's almost as if he actually wrote that line for Trump 888high58888

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Well, if it is a closing argument, that's not evidence and he won't be under oath.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I had an extended conversation recently with a very experienced trial lawyer who was highly placed in the Trump Administration.  He was of the opinion that Trump is actually a very good witness.  Very adept at spinning facts to his benefit, steering a narrative, and pushing back on counsel who try to box him in.  Also isn't intimidated by a lot of judges and so gets away with saying things the courts wish he wouldn't.

Kind of surprising to me, but I do trust this guy's legal judgement and can see his point.  Trump's inability to keep his mouth shut outside of court is a different issue, but if he's testifying on the stand in a civil case, or chooses to testify in a criminal case, then "keeping his mouth shut" isn't part of the equation.   And certainly, a guy like Trump would be a nightmare to cross-examine because you'd have to fight him on every last word.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:52:49 am by Maj. Bill Martin »