Author Topic: Army sending additional ‘data stewards’ to commands, defining data roles  (Read 175 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army sending additional ‘data stewards’ to commands, defining data roles

The Army first put out guidance two years ago on the idea of creating “data stewards” for its commands who would act as “kind of our spokesman for our supply side,” and will start codifying it in fiscal 2024, David Markowitz told Breaking Defense.
By   JASPREET GILL
on January 08, 2024 at 11:57 AM

WASHINGTON — This year, the Army will begin sending chief data officers to various commands who will act as a point of contact for “what data they need to get their mission done,” a service official told Breaking Defense.

“Additionally, if there’s data that … doesn’t need to be shared, they’re identified as the person within that command to make those decisions about what needs to be shared, curated, kept,” David Markowitz, Army chief data officer and analytics officer, said in an interview.

Markowitz said the Army first put out guidance two years ago on the idea of creating “data stewards” for its commands who would act as “kind of our spokesman for our supply side,” and will start codifying it in fiscal 2024. There are already chief data officers at Army Materiel Command, 18th Airborne Corps, Army Cyber Command, Army Corps of Engineers and Army National Guard, which the service wants to support and “standardize,” Markowitz added.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/01/army-sending-additional-data-stewards-to-commands-defining-data-roles/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are "data stewards" the same as propagandists? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson