Author Topic: Military Threats Are Growing, But Military Spending May Not Follow Suit  (Read 388 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military Threats Are Growing, But Military Spending May Not Follow Suit
Loren Thompson

Jan 8, 2024,10:44am EST

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has warned repeatedly of the damage budget cuts would do.
Overseas threats to U.S. security have steadily increased during the Biden presidency. No one expected when Joe Biden was inaugurated that three years in, Washington would be:

Aiding Ukraine in resisting a Russian invasion

Supporting Israel in defeating Hamas terrorism

Absorbing scores of assaults on troops in the Middle East

Forming a task force to defeat attacks in the Red Sea

Countering Chinese military pressure on Taiwan

Responding to North Korean threats of nuclear aggression.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2024/01/08/military-threats-are-growing-but-military-spending-may-not-follow-suit/?sh=29c0bf6e2cd0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 03:45:33 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Military Threats Are Growing, But Military Spending May Not Follow Suit
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 03:47:15 pm »
Especially while democrats and rinos control congress and Biden is POTUS!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online The_Reader_David

Re: Military Threats Are Growing, But Military Spending May Not Follow Suit
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 11:44:24 pm »
We out-spend the next ten largest defense budgets in the world, and that of those only China at #2 spending a little over 1/3 of what we spend, and Russia at #3 spending under 1/10 are enemies.  The rest of the next 10 are either formally allied with us, have common interests is there's a big war (India), or are clients of ours (Ukraine).  Given that, the problem is not how much we spend, but what we spend it on.  Something needs to be done to abolish "inter-service rivalry" which costs us by making Congress give something to all the services, even if the only real need is (take your pick, fleet modernization or some improvement to ground forces), and the pork-barrel aspects of defense spending that tries to get contracts in as many Congressional districts as possible (cf. the joke about the "invicible weapon system:  it has a contractor in every Congressional district).

We should stop building hangar-queens for the Air Force (I'm thinking of the F-22), streamline defense procurement, and buy only what we actually need to meet current and reasonably foreseeable threats without trying to give each service a cut of the pie.  If serious cost-benefit analyses were applied to defense procurement without respecting inter-service rivalries, or where the contractors are located, just looking at the benefits to our defense posture, not whether it will make, say, the Navy, unhappy, or doesn't have a contractor in the district of the House Appropriations Committee's district, we could cut defense spending without harming defense.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.