Author Topic: Your gas car, your meat & now — your houseplants?!  (Read 607 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Your gas car, your meat & now — your houseplants?!
« on: January 09, 2024, 11:10:37 am »
Your gas car, your meat & now — your houseplants?! Wash Post: ‘Indoor houseplants come with a cost to the planet’ – ‘Trucks that transport plants spew carbon emissions…& synthetic fertilizers are made from petroleum’

Washinton Post: "Greening indoor spaces can also come at an environmental cost. The trucks that transport plants spew carbon emissions, plastic pots, and synthetic fertilizers are made from petroleum and the harvesting of soil components like peat can tear up slow-forming habitats. ...

“A lot of major nursery suppliers are located in Florida and in California,” Susan Pell, the director of the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C., said. Depending on where you live, that can be a long way for a plant to travel in the back of a truck — and a lot of carbon emitted along the way.

Sustainable soils: One of the least sustainable soil components is peat, a rich brown substance formed from partially decayed plant matter at the bottom of bogs and other wetlands....But peat, which is a precursor to the formation of coal, releases carbon dioxide when it is harvested — and it’s not easily renewable.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/01/07/your-gas-car-your-meat-now-your-houseplants-wash-post-indoor-houseplants-come-with-a-cost-to-the-planet-trucks-that-transport-plants-spew-carbon-emissions-synthetic-fertilizers-a/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: Your gas car, your meat & now — your houseplants?!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 11:48:19 am »
These people are nuts.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 11:49:33 am »
These people are nuts.
Yep.

Certifiable.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 11:58:25 am »
Depending on where you live, that can be a long way for a plant to travel in the back of a truck — and a lot of carbon emitted along the way.
You mean they aren't transporting the potting soil in electric trucks? Oh, the humanity!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 04:53:16 pm »
January 9, 2024
Apparently, houseplants now contribute to climate change
By Chris Talgo

The climate-change killjoys have gone to great lengths in recent years linking practically anything and everything as a contributor to climate change. Gas stoves? Check. Dishwashers? Check. Eating meat? Check. Sporting events? Check. Breathing? Check, too.

Given this history, I must say I was not all that surprised when I read a recent article in the Washington Post claiming, “Indoor houseplants come with a cost to the planet.”

According to article’s author, “greening indoor spaces can also come at an environmental cost. The trucks that transport plants spew carbon emissions, plastic pots and synthetic fertilizers are made from petroleum and the harvesting of soil components like peat can tear up slow-forming habitats.”

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/01/apparently_houseplants_now_contribute_to_climate_change.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 05:14:32 pm »
I Love Enviro-whackos....

And would like to give each and everyone their own house plant.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 06:43:38 pm »
The problem for all the enviro-wackos is that in the process of collecting recyclables a lot of energy i.e. carbon emissions is spewed into the atmosphere.
Trucks, often powered by gasoline or diesel, have to go around to pick up recyclables that normally would have just been thrown into the trash. Which is where many localities put their recyclables anyway many people might be shocked to know.
Also, washing every dirty recyclable container uses up millions of gallons of water daily.
But water is never really lost due the hydrological cycle. It's just that the enviros get all worked up about diminished water resources.
The process of going green actually uses up a lot of energy that wouldn't be used if not for the enviro-wackos.
So, in many cases we're looking at a zero-sum game as far as using energy.
And no, going totally electric won't result in less energy being used. Evs don't run on air. Fossil fuels i.e. coal have to be used to create energy to power them.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 07:39:09 pm »
Merged threads

Online deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 07:43:30 pm »

:silly:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 07:49:29 pm »

Now I have "Suddenly Seymour" stuck in my head, so thanks for that.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 07:49:48 pm »
Now I have "Suddenly Seymour" stuck in my head, so thanks for that.
Feeeeeeeed me, Seymour!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 07:54:22 pm »
Right but won't the plant eventually suck up enough CO2 and put out enough O2 to compensate for the initial outlay of CO2 in getting it to your house?

Seems like a 'carbon negative' or at least neutral situation to me.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 11:17:37 pm »
As an aside, I read recently that the washington post is in deep financial trouble, almost on the verge of collapse. How long will Bezos keep proppin' it up...?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 11:22:49 pm »
As an aside, I read recently that the washington post is in deep financial trouble, almost on the verge of collapse. How long will Bezos keep proppin' it up...?
I don't think he will ever let it go, at least as long as Musk owns Twitter/X. Also who is going to give Bezos good press if he sells it?