Author Topic: Mexican president demands $20B, work permits for 10M Hispanics in exchange for immigration help  (Read 740 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fox News by Anders Hagstrom 1/8/2024

Mexican President Andrés Manuel Lopez Obrador issued a lengthy series of demands detailing what the U.S. must offer in exchange for Mexico's help in stemming the flow of migrants to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Lopez Obrador's demands came during a Friday press conference, which came roughly a week after he met with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Secretary of State Antony Blinken in Mexico City in late December. The U.S. officials requested that Mexico boost its assistance in stopping illegal immigration.

Lopez Obrador responded by demanding the U.S. give $20 billion to Latin American and Caribbean countries, grant work visas to 10 million Hispanics who have worked in the U.S. for at least 10 years, end sanctions against Venezuela and halt the blockade of Cuba.

The negotiations come at a critical time for President Biden, whose polling numbers on illegal immigration have been low throughout his presidency. The U.S. also suffered a surge of migrants at the border this fall, with roughly 240,000 monthly migrant encounters at the border in late 2023.

More: https://news.yahoo.com/mexican-president-demands-20b-permits-142917025.html

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Hola, señor presidente maricón, tengo su demanda aquí mismo.

Offline Hoodat

Mexican President Obrador can smell incompetence, and he is going to take full advantage of it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Isn't this what they call extortion?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Forgive my ignorance and my lying eyes/ears/logic, but don't we share a border with them, have a much larger economy, and wouldn't $20B cover building a wall and any subsequent enforcement in perpetuity?
The Republic is lost.