Author Topic: First US lunar lander in more than 50 years rockets toward moon with commercial deliveries  (Read 1279 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
By MARCIA DUNN
Updated 8:14 AM CST, January 8, 2024

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — The first U.S. lunar lander in more than 50 years rocketed to space Monday, launching a race for private companies to deliver experiments and other items to the moon.

Astrobotic Technology’s lander caught a ride on a brand new rocket, United Launch Alliance’s Vulcan. The Vulcan streaked through the Florida predawn sky, putting the spacecraft on a roundabout route to the moon that should culminate with an attempted landing on Feb. 23.

“We are on our way to the moon!” Astrobotic chief executive John Thornton said.

The Pittsburgh company aims to be the first private business to successfully land on the moon, something only four countries have accomplished. But a Houston company also has a lander ready to fly, and could beat it to the lunar surface, taking a more direct path.

more w/video
https://apnews.com/article/moon-landing-launch-private-nasa-0987b31b201b78c3935f1bfbf9a7cade
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Astrobotic's privately built moon lander suffers potentially crippling anomaly after launch

CBS News by William Harwood 1/8/2024

After a successful launch early Monday, engineers checking out the robotic Peregrine moon lander ran into problems keeping the spacecraft properly oriented, a potentially crippling issue for the first U.S. lunar lander since the Apollo program more than 50 years ago.

In a brief statement, spacecraft builder Astrobotic said initial checkout and activation of Peregrine's systems following separation from United Launch Alliance's new Vulcan rocket went well.

"Astrobotic-built avionics systems, including the primary command and data handling unit, as well as the thermal, propulsion and power controllers, all powered on and performed as expected," the Pittsburgh-based company reported.

"Unfortunately, an anomaly occurred, which prevented Astrobotic from achieving a stable sun-pointing orientation. The team is responding in real time as the situation unfolds and will be providing updates as data is obtained and analyzed."

In a second update, the company said engineers believe the likely cause of the sun-pointing issue is "a propulsion anomaly that, if proven true, threatens the ability of the spacecraft to soft-land on the moon."

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/astrobotic-moon-lander-anomaly-after-launch/

Offline Hoodat

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much she knows
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?

-D. Bowie-
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Peregrine moon lander carrying human remains doomed after 'critical loss' of propellant

Livescience.com
By Ben Turner
1 day ago

The first U.S. spacecraft to attempt a soft landing on the moon in more than 50 years has experienced a "critical loss of propellant," dooming its mission.

The Peregrine spacecraft, owned by the private American company Astrobotic Technology, launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, aboard a Vulcan rocket at 2:18 a.m. EST (0718 GMT) yesterday (Jan. 8).

Yet just six hours into the flight, the private moon mission experienced technical difficulties that prevented the Peregrine spacecraft from turning its solar panels toward the sun. As Peregrine's battery dwindled, engineers found a fix that enabled them to tilt the craft and charge the panels.

But a fourth update from the team delivered dire news: The spacecraft had sprung a leak, causing it to lose the necessary rocket fuel for a moon landing.

(more)
https://www.livescience.com/space/space-exploration/peregrine-moon-lander-may-be-doomed-after-critical-loss-of-propellant
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

“Anomaly” is one way to gussy up “sprung a leak”.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Righty tighty....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Former SpaceX engineers explain how the US's first moon landing mission in decades may have gone wrong and how to prevent similar anomalies

Business Insider by Jenny McGrath Jan 11, 2024

•   Space company Astrobotic's lunar lander won't reach the moon after a fuel leak.

•   Two former SpaceX employees explained how to prevent and troubleshoot anomalies during missions.

•   Most space companies don't operate like SpaceX does, they said, which can lead to mistakes.

Astrobotic's lunar lander Peregrine won't make it to the moon following a fuel leak. The NASA-backed mission was meant to be the first time a private company's spacecraft landed on the moon.

Astrobotic, which built Peregrine, theorized that a valve connecting two tanks failed. Pressurized helium leaked into an oxidizer tank, which burst. Though it won't reach the moon, the lander continues to collect data while it still has power.

This is far from the first time a private space company has experienced an anomaly.

Two former SpaceX engineers told Business Insider that space companies that invest heavily in testing and robust software processes tend to be successful and learn from their failures.

Karthik Gollapudi is a cofounder of Sift, a startup that helps space companies analyze their data and automate tasks, and Jason Hunter is its lead mission manager.

While Gollapudi and Hunter don't know how Astrobotic tests its vehicles, Gollapudi said the reason he started Sift was because of issues he saw across the space industry.

Companies would build and test the propulsion, solar array, and other systems separately, then test them all together when the vehicle was fully assembled. "And sometimes you run into mistakes doing that," he said.

More: https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-astrobotic-peregrine-anomaly-sift-error-software-testing-2024-1