Author Topic: Four Years After Trump Targeted Iranian General Soleimani, Biden’s Weakness Brings Chaos  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Four Years After Trump Targeted Iranian General Soleimani, Biden’s Weakness Brings Chaos      
BY TIMOTHY H. LEE

THURSDAY, JANUARY 04 2024

Soleimani’s killing reconfirmed the importance of a strong U.S. foreign and defense policy pursued by addressing threats proactively rather than reactively.

Four years ago this week, U.S. forces killed Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a drone attack ordered by president Donald Trump. 

This week, in stark contrast, global shipping giant Maersk announced that it could no longer traverse the Red Sea due to ongoing missile attacks by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels.  It will instead reroute its ships between Europe and Asia thousands of extra miles around the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa. 

The two events four years apart sharply illustrate the foreign policy difference between former President Trump and current president Joe Biden, and the price the world pays for the latter’s weakness.  Strength begets peace, weakness begets chaos. 

The January 3, 2020, killing of General Soleimani naturally prompted hand-wringing from the foreign policy establishment in the U.S. and worldwide, as had President Trump’s decision to relocate the American embassy in Israel to Jerusalem did. 

https://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/45-foreign-policy/6632-four-years-after-trump-targeted-iranian-general-soleimani-bidens-weakness-brings-chaos
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson