Author Topic: Why the C-130 Hercules Is Such a Legend (But Not Perfect)  (Read 467 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why the C-130 Hercules Is Such a Legend (But Not Perfect)
« on: January 07, 2024, 04:35:14 pm »
January 7, 2024   
Why the C-130 Hercules Is Such a Legend (But Not Perfect)

As it prepares to enter its eighth decade of service, the C-130 has no retirement plans, so expect the cargo prop to fly for decades still. The C-130 has proven itself time and time again, in different roles, through multiple conflicts, operating in the armed forces of 60 nations.

by Harrison Kass Follow Harrison Kass on TwitterL

The Lockheed C-130 Hercules has been in production for 60 years, longer than any other military aircraft.

As it prepares to enter its eighth decade of service, the C-130 has no retirement plans, so expect the cargo prop to fly for decades still. The C-130 has proven itself time and time again, in different roles, through multiple conflicts, operating in the armed forces of 60 nations.

Quietly, but surely, the C-130 has become worthy of its namesake – it is a legend in military aviation circles. But one notable incident, which occurred just after the C-130’s introduction has mostly been forgotten.

The C-130 debuted in 1954, while Dwight D. Eisenhower was in office. Using four props, the aircraft was designed to be versatile and rugged. It is capable of operating even from unconstructed runways.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-c-130-hercules-such-legend-not-perfect-208418
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson