Author Topic: Sailor Who Died by Suicide on Roosevelt Carrier Faced Lack of Resources, Poor Leadership by Enlisted  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sailor Who Died by Suicide on Roosevelt Carrier Faced Lack of Resources, Poor Leadership by Enlisted Supervisors
Konstantin Toropin
Fri, January 5, 2024 at 6:41 PM EST

A Navy investigation of a suicide aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier last year has revealed deadly shortcomings in the service's peer-based method of addressing mental health, which depends on fellow sailors and deckplate leadership to provide support.

The command-directed probe of the death aboard the Roosevelt as it was undergoing a long maintenance period in Washington state details failures by friends on the ship to report warning signs and poor leadership by enlisted supervisors that may have contributed to the death. It also suggests a separate recent suicide cluster aboard another carrier, the USS George Washington, was not an isolated issue.

Electrician's Mate (Nuclear) 3rd Class Jacob Slocum, who died by suicide on the ship on Dec. 5, 2022, was one of three sailors on the Roosevelt at the time who would end their lives in the span of a few months. The investigation into his death was not publicly released but was provided to his family and obtained by Military.com.

https://news.yahoo.com/sailor-died-suicide-roosevelt-carrier-234142158.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
  Poor Leadership by Enlisted Supervisors

It is good to know the leadership breakdown was only among enlisted personnel. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson